We are currently seeking a passionate and experienced leader to join our team as Food Services Manager to manage and overseeing the kitchens at our Kanata and Carleton Place communities. The communities serve seniors needing assisted living and memory care.
Symphony Senior Living is a leading provider of quality senior services in Canada; we provide private pay services to residents in our beautiful communities, from assisted living, through to end of life. We are the true alternative to a Long-Term Care facility to that end we are not a medical institution we are the home to many seniors of many levels of ability. We Serve both our Seniors and Their loved ones.
If you love working with people and you find the challenge of connecting and serving residents with physical needs rewarding this could be the position for you! We require, an experienced Leader of people, but more importantly someone who is compassionate and driven to provide a high quality, interactive, residential and compassionate environment to the resident, their families and the team. Our residents and families pay for all costs, so you must be able to understand budgeting and be a good steward of the resources available and our customer needs.
The perfect candidate may have experience with a variety of industries including food service, hospitality, retirement home or long-term care. We will teach you our systems, programs and philosophy, but we cannot teach compassion and empathy, so you will demonstrate those to us in an interview process.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the primary objectives of the Food Services Coordinator are to ensure the production of high quality food for our Residents and to manage and lead the food services team. The Food Services Coordinator is expected to perform the duties of the position in accordance with all relevant legislation and regulations, as well as the policies and procedures of Symphony Senior Living Inc., and in a manner acceptable to the business model.
Food Services Operations
- Participate in budget control through monitoring food and supply costs and minimizing waste
- Order food and supplies and complete month end inventory
- Develops menus, standardized recipes to ensure consistency and quality of our food
- Participate in the development of departmental policies and procedures, utilizing input from Team Members, Residents and families whenever possible to ensure their implementation
- Supervise maintenance of records and reports relating to food costs, inventory of equipment and supplies and department budget
- Manages total expenses equal to budget set in the annual budget process
- Build teams that are founded on principles of openness and integrity
- Create an environment where Team Members can be the best they can be
- Support others to make decisions about their own work
- Make difficult decisions when information is limited or solutions may produce unpleasant consequences managing the outcome and transition to build cohesiveness
- Create a supportive environment for Team Members as evidenced by ability to bring team together and build employee engagement
- Foster a climate of openness, trust and solidarity among Team Members by treating each person as a valued Team Member
- Take a proactive, positive view of Team Members and their capabilities, ensuring they understand their role and responsibilities, counseling and supporting them in improving their skills
- Embrace the “big picture”, establish direction and align people to build commitment to achieving goals
- Compassion, Common Sense and Empathy required
- Certificate Food Service Worker Program, as approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities OR Diploma Cook/Chef course from an established college
- Certificate Food Safety Awareness Program, as approved by Public Health
- WHMIS Certificate OR willingness to obtain
- First Aid OR willingness to obtain
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety procedure
- Knowledge of nutritional standards and requirements for seniors
- Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership and management skills
- 3-5 years experience in fine dining cuisine preparation and presentation
- Prior cooking experience in a retirement, residential care or hotel hospitality setting an asset
- Financial management and budget development skills required
- Strong computer skills required
- Symphony is an equal opportunity employer.
- This position is a Non Union position
- Robust Benefits program that commences on date of hire and is 100% employer paid.
- You must pass a Vulnerable sector back ground check
- You must be able to work with Dogs and Cats and other animals
- Due to our high level of residents with dementia; your tattoos and piercings must either remained covered by clothing or are discrete. Any other external body decoration, including hair, must not be frightening to a frail senior with dementia.
- You must be legally allowed to work in Canada
- You must be in good physical health as this job requires lifting, sitting, standing and walking.
- Must be able to read and write in English to a minimum High School Level
Please send Cover Letter, detailing you interest in this position and Resume to Symphony Senior Living by September 30, 2019 .We thank you in advance for your interest, but only those that we chose to interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- food service management: 3 years (Preferred)