Purpose and Scope
The incumbent is responsible for providing administrative and clerical support to all members working during
an assigned shift at the RCMP detachment. This position primarily utilizes PRIME (Police Records
Information Management Environment) and CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) during their shift.
This position is expected to review all new files in the first instance originating during the shift to ensure
PRIME compatibility and adherence to UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting) rules and to ensure that they are
complete for administrative purposes. This includes putting all paper-full files away daily in the file room
once they are complete. The incumbent works as part of a Records Team, reporting to the Police Records
Services Coordinator and working with Records Clerks who work during their day shifts. Working
cooperatively and collaboratively as part of the Records Team, the incumbent is expected to participate and
provide solutions to problems relating to records management. The incumbent is also expected to provide
efficient and professional customer service on the phone or at the front counter while providing routine
information and processing routine transactions – referring customers to the appropriate contact for non-
Nature and Scope of Work
- Reviews files in PRIME transcription for accuracy to maintain the integrity of the Master Name Index
- Maintains files in PRIME by ensuring compatibility with PRIME policy and assigning appropriate UCR
scoring for all files prior to upload into PRIME database.
- Generates files in PRIME for various offenses as necessary.
- Concludes files in the first instance.
- Follows the rules of workflow to ensure timely distribution of files to members and support staff.
- Enters/queries files in CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) as required. Enters locates for missing
people, stolen property, and warrants during shifts as required.
- Distributes incoming and outgoing CPIC messages.
- Provides warrant confirmations to and answers queries from other RCMP detachments.
- Distributes incoming faxes located in general duty area including Crimestoppers tips.
- Liaise with members working out of the office and OCC (Operational Command Centre) via radio or
- Assists members not assigned to watch with various tasks related to the operation of the detachment.
- Provides administrative support to the assigned shift as requested by the watch commander.
- Creates daily watch report detailing events of the shift for distribution within the detachment.
- Assists RCMP volunteer groups during night shifts having meetings and requiring debriefings.
- Takes fingerprints for non-criminal purposes.
- Provides assistance and break relief to front counter staff during open office hours.
- Responsible for front counter/switchboard duties during closed office hours.
- Dicta-types urgent in-custody statements during shifts as required.
- Prepares, types and issues correspondence as directed.
Job Description – Watch Clerk
Page 2 of 2
- Refers non-routine matters to Police Records Services Coordinator or relevant RCMP personnel as
- Files department records.
- Participates and provides solutions to problems relating to records management with other team
- Maintains reference manual for position duties for backup personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Word.
- Familiar with using the internet and email system.
- Familiar with Criminal Code of Canada, provincial and municipal acts and regulations.
- Familiar with PRIME policies and procedures.
- Familiar with RCMP Policies and Procedures.
- Working knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Familiar with working with RCMP computer systems including PRIME, CPIC, CABS and PIRS.
- Familiar with the use of facsimile machine, photocopier and multi-line telephone switchboard.
- Communicate effectively including completing and reviewing detailed forms, reading and writing
memos and letters.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Deal courteously and tactfully with all customers both on the phone and in person.
- Ability to consistently deliver work of a high standard of quality, precision and according to
standards, procedures, rules, regulations and expectations.
- Remain calm during hostile or stressful situations.
- Work independently while meeting needs of detachment.
- Able to provide solutions to problems.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Work within and contribute to a proactive team environment.
- Effectively respond to a high volume of inquiries and do a multitude of tasks.
- Ability and willingness to contribute to maintaining a respectful, safe and supportive work
environment that embraces diversity, along with treating everyone with courtesy, dignity and
- Pass and maintain RCMP Reliability Security screening.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- PRIME, CPIC, and CABS training.
- Minimum four (4) years’ recent (within last eight (8) years) office administration experience
inclusive of at least one (1) year work experience at a police detachment.
- Minimum one (1) year working with PRIME workflow, or workflow with equivalent police records
information management environment (ie. PROS), identifying deficiencies and providing solutions
within records management.
Unusual Working Conditions
- Shifts/schedule may be changed for departmental leave requests.
- NOTE: For long term auxiliary postings, this position requires current, active RCMP Reliability