A neighbourhood where every person’s worth is celebrated and all people thrive.
We seek a just society by nurturing each person’s spirit through ministry, housing, advocacy and community services.
Our Core Values
Acceptance – we practice a presence of acceptance – caring for people no matter who they are, no matter where they are on life’s journey, no matter their race, gender identity/expression, or who they love. We meet people where they are and offer help when asked.
Discernment – we develop and grow our skill at using critical thinking and judgement in our interactions with the community we serve. We know that behaviour is in itself communication, and sometimes rules cannot be one-size-fits-all. And that the world does need rules. We use the same skills to plan how the organization should respond to the neighbourhood we serve.
Empathy – we practice empathy – truly seeing and hearing the experience of those around us. Empathy communicates to those we serve: “You are not alone.”
Accountability – we show up and we go the extra mile. We deal with our own issues and we take ownership and responsibility for our work and its impact.
Social Justice – we aspire to a sustainable and equitable society.
Each job at First United Church Community Ministry Society should in some way promote our vision and mission and all employees are expected to share our values at work.
The Managing Director serves as the chief operating officer of First United Church Community Ministry Society (“First United”), reports directly to the Executive Director as the most senior manager of the organization, and is accountable to the Executive Director for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization.
The Managing Director ensures that the purposes of the Society as expressed in its constitution are actualized in the day-to-day operation of the ministry. Specifically, the managing director will ensure that First United’s fiscal, operations, fundraising, marketing, human resource, technology, and programmatic strategies are effectively implemented across all segments of the organization.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic vision and leadership: 30%
- In partnership with the Executive Director, collaborate with other senior staff to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with First United’s core mission
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all staff through management, and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization; establish effective decision-making processes that will enable First United to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Executive Director and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals
Development & Communications: 10%
- In partnership with the Executive Director, ensure that the flow of funds permits First United to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission and that those funds are allocated properly to reflect present needs and future potential
- Formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations
- Alongside the Executive Director, publicly represent First United with the media and external constituency groups including community, governmental, church and private organizations and build excitement for First United’s mission.
Strengthening infrastructure and operations: 50%
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality services while managing for current and future growth
- Support and motivate the organization’s staff
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization; create and promote a positive, intercultural work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization’s strategy, operational methods, and data collection needs
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short-range financial plans, monitoring the budget and ensuring sound financial controls are in place; set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff
- Ensuring that operating agreements, lease commitments, management agreements, and other contractual obligations are appropriately reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors
- Facilitate implementation of the management agreement with First United Church Social Housing Society
Ministry & Program Development: 10%
- Ensure a sustainable community ministry that meets the spiritual needs of community members
- Work with the Director of Community Ministry to ensure that the faith-basis of the organization is maintained, training staff on the role of First United as an incorporated ministry of the United Church of Canada
- Rationalize the delivery of programs through new and existing offices and partnerships
- Increase efficiencies and consistency throughout the organization by developing and implementing standardized programs, services, and program office marketing
- Ensure that all ministry and community programs have adequate funding
Directly supervises the following positions:
- Director of Finance & Administration
- Director of Community Ministry
- Director of Programs
- Director of Housing
Indirect management relationships include:
- Shelter Management (Manager, Assistant Managers)
- Advocacy Manager
- Program Manager
- Kitchen Services Manager
- Housing Services Manager
- Property Manager
- HR Generalist
- HRIS & Payroll Generalist
- Development Manager
- Unionized staff
Accountable for planning, monitoring and reporting on budgets, actual performance, and projected forecasts for both First United Church Community Ministry Society and First United Church Social Housing Society. Combined annual budget of approximately $6M.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years of experience and a track record in senior program management; Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach a senior-level staff to manage and develop high-performance teams and develop and implement program strategies.
- Demonstrable experience in budgeting and fiscal management.
- Significant board development, fundraising, marketing/branding and fiscal management experience a must.
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to point to specific examples of having led organizational transformation projects and program development.
- Past experience managing human resources function including personnel, compensation, and recruiting is an asset.
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- Fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Contract length: 36 months
Application Deadline: 2020-07-15
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $105,000.00 - $115,000.00 per year
- Casual Dress
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Flexible Schedule
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- RRSP Match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Care
- Work From Home
- 10 Hour Shift
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
- management: 10 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)