About Queen's University
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
The role of the Event Coordinator is to provide high quality administrative support in the coordination of events held at the SmithToronto facility or at other venues in the GTA. Reporting to the Manager of Facility Operations, the incumbent is responsible for the planning, management, logistics, and monitoring of events on behalf of both internal and external clients of Smith School of Business. The incumbent liaises and works closely with a wide range of clients, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, high profile guests, corporate partners and other users of the SmithToronto facility, and provides on-site management to ensure client satisfaction.
In addition, the incumbent will provide day-to-day support of the SmithToronto facility, including occasional reception responsibilities and ensuring the appearance of the facility is at a high professional standard, in accordance with the Smith School of Business (Smith) brand and image. The incumbent will assist the Manager of Facility Operations, working with all users and stakeholders to ensure the facility meets their needs.
This position will require flexible hours of work including evenings and weekends with occasional travel, as required.
- Plan, coordinate and implement logistics and successful staging of events within a designated budget and approved timeline; including accommodation reservations, room and event space booking, catering, and expenses; technical equipment/support, all space details (access, cleaning, setups, etc.) Record and follow up on any decisions made at event planning meetings; assess effectiveness of events and make recommendations for improvements.
- Attend and manage all major on client events as required, stage the event and provide scripting services as needed.
- Design and create content for advertising events. Make recommendations on changes or revisions to content and material.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and external users. Provide direct internal/external partner communication regarding events, ensuring delivery of products/services; troubleshoot and liaise with client/service suppliers during event; distribute event information to departments and clients, communicating any changes on a regular basis.
- Liaise and communicate appropriately with range of guests during event (from students to high profile guests and university donors)
- Act as a primary point of contact for the SmithToronto facility; provide front reception, greet and direct visitors; respond promptly to questions or complaints or direct the inquiry to the appropriate individual. Responsible for the day-to-day facility requirements of Smith School of Business programs being offered in Toronto, ensuring the facility is clean and tidy and rooms are appropriately set up.
- Assist with managing the room bookings calendar for SmithToronto facility including, the classrooms, videoconference rooms, meeting rooms, and office area. Approve bookings as directed by Manager, Facilities Operations.
- Liaise with building security to ensure the doors are unlocked or locked when beginning or ending a shift. Work with security to ensure access is granted to guests, as required.
- Responsible for content on the Axis TV display and stocking display materials throughout the space.
- Prepare client quotation and invoices. Collect and process payments, maintain client information and electronic filing system.
- Provide work direction, and technical/functional guidance for both Facility Assistants and Junior Facility Assistants.
- Review assignments and provide feedback to both Facility Assistants and Junior Facility Assistants. Provide input on work performance to management staff.
- Provide on the job training and related day to day supervision to both Facility Assistants and Junior Facility Assistants. Escalate unresolved performance and/or disciplinary matters to management.
- Undertake other duties, office functions and tasks as assigned.
- A three-year post-secondary program in Hospitality Services or Business Administration, combined with a minimum of three years of relevant experience in the hospitality, catering or a similar field. A degree in Hospitality Services considered an asset.
- Experience in the hospitality and/or event management industry is required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead an implement events and able to meet event objectives.
- Familiarity with Queen’s University policies and procedures and/or experience working in a university setting would be considered a strong asset.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to multi-task on a regular basis.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written with strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse mix of clientele – from students to high profile university donors – and to understand the best method for liaising with each group
- Ability to handle stress and responsibility for the successful delivery of services for high profile events on campus
- Ability to work well as a member of a team, ability to collaborate with others in a fast-paced environment. Creative initiative with the ability to react quickly to customer requests.
- Strong computer skills, particularly in a Microsoft environment. General knowledge of accounts receivable/payable and invoicing functions.
- Ability to handle flexible work schedule, including some evenings and weekends as required.
- Ability to handle stress and maintain composure with clients.
- Prioritize work and time and decide most important tasks among several to meet deadlines.
- Handle and/or refer incoming correspondence and phone calls to the appropriate individual for follow-up, particularly those which are time sensitive.
- Pricing of client proposals within established guidelines
- Understand and determine need to attend events or direct partner staff onsite as required.
- Assess training needs for the Facility Assistants and Junior Facility Assistants and make recommendations for internal or external training to attain proficiency.
- Monitor and assess output and the quality of the Facility Assistant’s and Junior Facility Assistant’s work, and make recommendations
- Decide most appropriate format, venue and logistics, within guidelines, for effective and efficient event planning and delivery.
- Make recommendations of revisions to procedures to improve effectiveness of events.
- Make decisions independently regarding service delivery.
- Determine content and formatting for correspondence and reports prepare on behalf of senior staff.
- Respond to general inquiries, specifically in reference to client reservations, refer to appropriate individuals when required.
Employment Equity and Accessibility Statement
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at [email protected]