Type of employment: Full-time, Permanent
Pre-employment Checks: Criminal Background Check, 2 Professional References, Valid Driver’s Licence,
Location: The position is based in Prince Rupert, BC but will require occasional travel to the Burnaby, BC office.
380 Kaien Road Unit 1 Prince Rupert, BC V8J 4H6
Make an impact with SGS! With more than 97,000 employees and 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world, SGS is a silent force working hard behind the scenes to deliver quality and integrity to businesses across nine industries. As the world’s leader in providing inspection, verification, testing and certification services, Forbes ranked the SGS Group as one of the world’s top multinationals and one of the world’s most innovative companies. The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices has also recognized the SGS Group for its sustainability processes. In Canada, SGS employs over 2,000 team members across 70 locations.
A Day in the Life of a Lab Supervisor:
- Supervise staff to carry out laboratory analysis according to established methods and meeting Quality Control (QC) standards.
- Demonstrates safe work habits and ensures a clean working environment;
- Ensure laboratory work carried out respects SGS’s health, safety and environmental standards and applicable laws;
- Accountable for ensuring that the Laboratory Quality System is in compliance with the current accreditation number ISO 9001 & 17025
- Review requests for analysis to prepare the necessary documents to ensure the work carried out is in line with customer requirements;
- Determine and analyze customer needs
- Collect additional information from clients that is required to carry out the work, when necessary;
- Confirm reception and comprehension of requests for analysis with the client;
- Prepare internal documents (paper and electronic format) required to carry out the requests for analysis;
- Plan laboratory work with the technicians in order to meet deadlines;
- Support operation and run remote OGC Laboratories & projects across BC (Prince Rupert, Kitimat.)
- Ensure work carried out by technicians is done in accordance to required standards (ASTM, IP, AOCS, EN, ISO, etc.);
- Ensure that all equipment is functional and calibrated and that all quality standards were performed within the required timeframe;
- Ensure that all equipment is functional by conducting regular checks on Statistical quality control charts
- Interact with clients to ensure good communication and understand/manage expectations;
- Ensure necessary internal documents required to carry out the mandate are properly completed within the required timeframe.
- Prepare and/or review reports to ensure they comply with the mandate and specifications;
- Inform clients promptly when problems occur (additional delays, out of scope, etc.);
- Perform related tasks: training, data entry, etc.;
- Participate actively in technical meetings or laboratory and/or office management;
- Participate or occasionally manage customer issues in order to find a satisfactory solution;
- Participate and/or issue service offerings when necessary;
- Work in accordance to the highest ethical standards and SGS’s Code of Integrity.
- Education: University degree in analytical chemistry, ;
- Experience: 10 to 15 years of experience in a laboratory analyzing petroleum products and/or supervision of a work group in a laboratory setting.
- Good knowledge of the following standards: ASTM, IP, EN, ISO, AOCS, etc.;
- Knowledge of transformation processes involving petroleum products;
- Knowledge of tests performed on various petroleum products (LPG, HFO, diesel, JETA, gasoline, crude oil, chemicals);
- Knowledge of test performing on various lab instruments (RGA, HPLC, GC, Mercury Analyser, RON & MON Octane Engines, Salt in Crude Analyser, AAS, JEFTOT, ANTEK, KFT).
- Possess an excellent work ethic;
- Must be capable of managing a team with professionalism;
- Must act as a mentor with technicians.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner;
- Candidates must be proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook);
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment;
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition
- Ability to work well with others & independently;
- Proven time management skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Works well under pressure;
- Extended work hours may be required from time to time;
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process. Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.
Telephone - 587-876-2238
185 Concession St Lakefield,ON K0L 2H0
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance programs
- Parental leave
- Vacation & paid time off
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $61,400.00-$102,300.00 per year
- Laboratory Supervision: 10 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Prince Rupert, BC (Required)
- Valid Driver's (Required)