WHO ARE WE?
Longview Farms is a progressive grower and shipper of a wide variety of Certified Organic fruit and vegetable crops as well as conventional fresh-cut daffodils, daffodil bulbs, pumpkins, hay and grain. We are the largest Certified Organic farm on Vancouver Island and our produce, flowers and bulbs can be found in several local retail stores throughout Vancouver Island and the mainland. Our farm is in the municipality of Central Saanich on Southern Vancouver Island which is on the West Coast of British Columbia. This area hosts some of the most productive farmland in Canada.
The successful candidate(s) is responsible for directly supervising and coordinating the activities of all field and greenhouse personnel in alignment with overall goals and objectives for each specific growing season.
Victoria (Central Saanich), British Columbia
- Directly supervise and manage the day to day activities for all field and harvesting laborers as well as greenhouse crews
- Estimate field and greenhouse labour requirements in coordination with the Grower and General Manger
- Develop work schedules, establish field procedures and maintain quality control for all field / farm personnel
- Manage all production and inventory records and documentation for field and greenhouse food safe and organic programs
- Conduct worker training programs for harvesting and weeding in compliance with food safe and work safe regulations
- Maintain efficiency levels of all field activities
- Prepare reports regarding field conditions, crop yields, labor shortages and farm challenges
- Drive and operate machinery, as required
- Organize and issue equipment; including, but not limited to: harvesting knives, pruners and weeding tools
As a small business with dynamic needs, not all duties and responsibilities can be documented. All employees in the company are expected to be flexible and adaptable with a willingness to take on new and different work, as required and as the business necessitates.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- A diploma or degree in Horticulture is considered an asset
- A minimum of 2+years of experience working on a farm; with a minimum of 1 year of previous supervisory experience
- Class 5 driver’s license with a clean abstract; an air brakes endorsement is considered an asset
- Forklift training is considered an asset
- Ability to communicate in English and Spanish both verbally and in writing is considered an asset
- MS office skills; including, Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience in handling tools and machinery
- Ability to lift more than 50lbs and work in a physically demanding environment for long hours in inclement weather conditions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and problem solve effectively
- Ability to work with multiple individuals at varying levels in the organization and with varying levels of experience
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends as seasonally required by the farm
Job Type: Full-time
- supervisory: 1 year (Preferred)
- working on a farm: 2 years (Preferred)