Reg. Respiratory Therapist/Certified Respiratory Educator*
Director, Regional Services and Partnerships
Permanent 0.5 FTE (17.5 hours per week)
Location: Napanee, ON
Start Date: Immediately
Salary: $34.04 - $40.29 per hour
(Salary is pro-rated based on a .5 FTE $30,976.40 - $36,663.90)
Under the direction of the Regional Services and Partnership Director, the Registered Respiratory Therapist/ Certified Respiratory Educator will be working with health care organizations throughout the region with an initial focus on unattached patients and patients from KCHC and Tyendinaga.
The Registered Respiratory Therapist/Certified Respiratory Educator (RRT/CRE) works along with primary care providers to assess and educate patients and their families or caregivers about lung health (i.e. asthma, COPD, smoking cessation etc). The RRT/CRE fosters a collaborative approach to lung health management in the community; promotes and utilizes opportunities to increase awareness, skills and knowledge within the community; identifies and participates in continuing education and research opportunities as appropriate to the goals of the program and in accordance with host site guidelines
*This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
· Conduct individual and family assessments to identify strengths, resources, psychological factors, socioeconomic impact, knowledge, and potential barriers to learning and improved lung health management.
· Provide spirometry testing as outlined in accordance with the American Thoracic Society guidelines.
· Provide lung health education to patients, families and care providers utilizing best practice strategies and standardized PCAP tools, in accordance with PCAP Advisory Group recommendations.
· Work as part of an interdisciplinary team to provide and/or encourage exercise as part of lung health management.
· Work with patients/families and primary care provider to develop, implement and revise customized self-management plans (Action Plans).
· Identify community resources and help patients to understand how and when to best access those resources appropriately.
· Provide updates and in-service education to primary care providers on lung health.
· Consults with primary care providers on the management of their lung health clients as needed.
· Participates in respiratory research as required.
· Serve as a resource to the community by providing information about lung health: liaise with local health care providers, hospitals and community organizations to increase awareness, knowledge and skills.
· Counsel clients on smoking cessation as required.
· Incorporate and strengthen organizational and community understanding of health promotion and the broader determinants of health.
· Develop and maintain networks with community organizations, groups and individuals involved in improving community health.
· Support approaches that foster self-help, mutual aid and capacity building.
· Participate in research, as appropriate.
· Routinely compile, enter and report relevant data per agency and funder request.
· Perform administrative tasks as related to the position, including activities such as time planning, documentation, and report preparation.
· Participate in regular program review and planning of program evaluation initiatives with a continuous quality improvement focus.
· Complete documentation in accordance with PCAP standards and site specific policies and practice.
· Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
· Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
· Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
· Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
· Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
· Registered Respiratory Therapist in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario
· Certified Respiratory Educator in good standing or in the process of completing CRE certification
· Three to five years’ experience in acute or primary care setting (preferred)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment
· Demonstrated commitment to community based healthcare and knowledge of community based resources
· Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
· Proficiency with various computer programs and application, especially Microsoft Office
· Excellent organizational skills and above average attention to detail
Organizational Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
Position Competencies: Counselling, Facilitating Groups, Knowledge/Professional/Technical Expertise, Relationship Building, Teamwork
· Valid Driver’s License, valid insurance coverage, and access to vehicle
· Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
· French language is an asset
· Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
· Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
· Email to hr(a)kchc.ca citing reference “2019-81-KCHC” in the subject line.
· Applications must be submitted to Human Resources by Thursday, April 30, 2020 or Until Filled.
As a registered professional, to abide by and be accountable to the ethics and standards set out by the relevant regulatory body of the profession.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4
Reference ID: 2019-81-KCHC
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $34.04 to $40.29 /hour