Project Manager – Water/Wastewater Planning
Temporary, full-time opportunity (up to 24 months) with Hamilton Water in Hamilton, ON
Are you a Professional Engineer, Certified Engineering Technologist or similarly qualified professional with a thorough understanding of municipal wastewater services planning? Do you have a reputation as a champion of best practices in project management with a focus on continuous improvement? If such is the case, the City of Hamilton welcomes your experience and expertise.
As a Project Manager on our Water/Wastewater Planning team, you’ll lead projects related to wastewater infrastructure planning, with a focus on identifying infrastructure improvements required to address existing system deficiencies, in order to improve system operations and/or accommodate future growth.
Leading consultant assignments and acting as the City’s primary project contact, you’ll work with teams of internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that they are kept informed of project progress and that their interests are being addressed. In some cases, you’ll be communicating with City officials regarding their projects, which will entail preparing project-related Council Reports, presentations and/or status reports.
Your ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, planning reports and other technical documents will come in handy in this key role, as you’ll be expected to provide analyses on wastewater system capacity either by creating computer spreadsheets or by using the City’s hydraulic computer model(s). In all your activities, you’ll ensure adherence to the City’s project management and procurement policies and procedures, and to industry standard project management principles and best practices.
Your qualifications as a Project Manager – Water/Wastewater Planning include:
· Demonstrated knowledge of the practices and theories of Civil Engineering and/or Environmental Science normally acquired by obtaining a degree or diploma in a related field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and relevant work experience.
· Membership with Professional Engineers Ontario or the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists, preferred.
· Previous project management experience, preferably in a water/wastewater environment.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the Clean Water Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Ontario Water Resources Act.
· A thorough understanding of municipal planning principles as they pertain to wastewater services.
· Proven knowledge of the Class Environmental Assessment process gained through extensive practical experience.
· Effective facilitation, communication, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and/or work with a multi-disciplinary staff, in a results-oriented, predominantly unionized environment, and to lead, and participate in, teams.
· Formal leadership training/certification, an asset.
· Experience in designing and delivering customer-focused programs and services.
· Ability to interact effectively with elected officials, representatives of other levels of government, management, peers, staff and the general public.
· Thorough knowledge and understanding of statutes, regulations and by-laws affecting the Department/Section.
· Working knowledge of computer software applications / urban drainage and hydraulic modelling tools related to wastewater planning and engineering such as DHI MIKE URBAN, and InfoWorks ICM, as well as Microsoft Office, and GIS.
This CUPE Local 1041 temporary, full-time position offers a wage range of $50.281 to $55.868 per hour (based on a 35-hour work week schedule).
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged, empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careersfor details on this Project Manager – Water/Wastewater Planning position, JOB ID #16345, and to apply online, by Wednesday, June 17, 2020.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Reference ID: 16345
Application deadline: 2020-06-17
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $50.28 to $55.86 /hour