The Manager, Support Services is responsible for the overall planning, organization, management, and evaluation of all functions (including staffing, supplies, and operating budgets) in Housekeeping and Food Service for assigned Interior Health (IH) sites.
The Manager will also work closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the delivery of Laundry Services aligns with IH expectations and is supported where applicable by programs within the Manager’s areas of responsibility.
The Manager works in close collaboration with local Directors, Managers, Business Support Representatives, and other departments within IH.
The Manager, Support Services is responsible for fostering a positive working culture within the areas of responsibility, ensuring IH is providing services that meet the needs of stakeholders.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides management, leadership, and supervision to staff in line with established directives and policies relating to the mission and goals of the organization and programs. Develops procedures to guide staff in carrying out their duties.
2. Hires, appraises, and disciplines staff, up to and including termination.
3. Plans, directs, and participates in orientation and on-going education programs for in-house personnel as well as students from recognized training programs/educational institutions, as required.
4. Authorizes vacation, overtime, and paid and unpaid leave.
5. Covers for other Managers and Coordinators within the Support Services portfolio during leaves or vacations.
6. Labour relations responsibilities include involvement with the grievance process up to and including settlement; updating, negotiating, and implementing strike contingency plans including essential staffing levels; Step 3 Labour Management meetings; and third party hearings as required. Works in conjunction with Human Resources in the interpretation of collective agreements.
7. Plans the approved annual department budgets and is responsible for ongoing adherence to budget objectives for supplies, staffing, and equipment.
8. Establishes and maintains a quality assurance program for services and employs the necessary audit procedures that will measure the effectiveness and efficiency of those services.
9. Administers policies and standards in accordance with the regulations of the Ministry of Health and local authorities as they pertain to the delivery of department services.
10. Coordinates the regular ordering of supplies and establishes and maintains inventory control systems.
11. Ensures optimal health and safety standards are met for the areas of responsibility.
12. Ensures revenue services are operated in a cost-effective manner.
13. Coordinates the attendance enhancement program at designated sites.
14. On an on-going basis, plans, implements, and evaluates programs related to Food and Housekeeping Services, where applicable.
15. Participates on regional, portfolio, and provincial Food Service committees, as required.
16. Participates in the process related to awarding of regional contacts pertaining to the areas of responsibility. May deal directly with suppliers either on the open market or by tender contract and group purchasing in accordance with IH policies and procedures.
17. Participates in ongoing product evaluation and cost comparison as part of the product and service standardization process.
18. Responsible for the ongoing development, sustainability, and evaluation of the Housekeeping Best Practice Audit program within the assigned region. Coordinates ongoing training and education of staff.
19. Responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of Food and Housekeeping programs and initiatives (local, regional, or provincial) in the assigned region, utilizing best practice standards to achieve customer-focused and quality service.
20. Contributes to the Management Team of each facility by providing information, advice, input, and leadership with respect to Food and Housekeeping Services. Supports and promotes the mission, philosophy, and strategic direction of IH.
21. Undertakes projects to ensure efficient, safe, and high quality services are delivered to clients/ residents and implements and monitors quality feedback. Develops and utilizes information systems which collect, collate, and summarize data for review and recommendation.
22. Keeps abreast of trends and developments in the Support Services industries.
23. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Note: Any position that is required to enter a Long Term Care/Assisted Living or Mental Health facility to provide services, the successful candidate of that position will be subject to the PHO Order regarding mandatory vaccination.
A certificate or diploma in a related field.
Five years of recent, related experience in a housekeeping and/or food service management position, preferably in a healthcare environment.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and work experience.
Membership in the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management (CSNM) or other organization related to the fields.
Demonstrates all LEADS Capabilities, in particular:
Leads Self/Cultural Agility – self-awareness, demonstrates character; noticing and adapting to cultural uniqueness to create a sense of safety for all.
Engages Others/Empathy – fosters the development of others, communicates effectively, builds effective teams, listens with heart rather than reacting
Achieves Results/Process Orientation – takes action to implement decisions, assesses & evaluates results, follows culturally respectful processes that also produce results
Develops Coalitions/Building a Trust-Based Relationship – builds partnerships & networks to create results, demonstrates a commitment to customers & service, navigates socio-political environments, building personal relationships in addition to professional ones, participating in open exchanges of experiences and culture
System Transformation/Credible Champion – demonstrates systems/critical thinking, strategically oriented to the future, champions & orchestrates change, remains self-aware and maintains effective relationships, shows courage and conviction in advocating for change for the betterment of Aboriginal people.
Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated ability to plan, consolidate, and deliver high quality services in a cost-efficient, customer-focused manner.
Must demonstrate a high degree of skill in negotiating, problem-solving, conflict management, and communications.
Ability to deal with others effectively.
Ability to supervise.
Ability to organize work.
Ability to operate related equipment, including knowledge of computerized systems and programs.
Valid BC Driver’s License.
Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.