Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Manulife has a clear vision for a Global Data Strategy. By liberating and strengthening Manulife’s data capabilities we will enable deeper insights, better product and service design, and more effective business processes. The result will be exceptional experiences for our customers.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer is responsible for maximizing the value of the client’s data & data platform. This role resides within our Global Data office and you will have the opportunity to work for a dynamic and highly technical organization, being a core member of their investments data engineering and analytics enablement focused team.
Individual Accountabilities or this role includes:
Job Requirements for this role re as follows:
- Builds, codes, tests, maintain high quality software
- Participates in Agile sprints and ceremonies; supports rapid iteration and development
- Translates user requirements into software requirements
- Develops, maintains, and tests data pipelines, application framework, infrastructure for data generation; works closely with information architects and Data Scientists
- Experience initializing and managing cloud platforms: AWS, Azure etc
- Builds code to specifications and standards
- Builds and codes moderately complex software
- Minimal time coaching teammates
- Contributes code across BUs
- Has positive impact to specific organizational entities & has some understanding of the nature of the impact
- Usually a top contributor to team's success
- Designs and implements data architectures in production environments
- Implements data orchestration pipelines, data sourcing, cleansing, augmentation and quality control processes
- Translates business needs into data architecture solutions
- Contributes to overall solution, integration and enterprise architectures
- Develops data landscape modernization architectures and roadmaps
- Deploys machine learning models in production
- Familiarity with agile and DevOps principles, test-driven development, continuous integration, and other approaches to accelerate the delivery of new features
- Understanding of software development lifecycle
- Understanding of how technology supports Manulife business strategy
- Familiar with platform technologies
- Familiar with modern software architectures and API-driven development
- Familiar with scripting languages
- Familiar with database technologies such as: MySQL, Postgres, Hadoop, Spark
- Familiar with technologies such as: Informatica
- Mentors Associate Engineers
- Seeks coaching from experts
- Attends advanced training sessions and is certified on multiple domains of expertise
- Demonstrates all core skills, and good interpersonal skills for the role
- Good working and background knowledge of area of practice
- Use and combine knowledge of the discipline and the market to formulate the right approach
- Participates in functional demos utilizing new tech; designs own control structures
- Fit for purpose, though may lack refinement
- Sees actions partly in terms of longer-term goals
- Understands the corporate climate & culture
- Strong knowledge of the business
- Understanding of relational and warehousing database technology working with at least one of the major databases platforms (e.g., Oracle, SQLServer, Teradata, MySQL, or Postgres)
- Practical experience with big data processing frameworks and techniques such as HDFS, MapReduce, Storage formats (Avro, Parquet), Stream processing, etc.
- Solid working knowledge of data processing tools using SQL, Spark, Python or similar open source and commercial technologies
- Knowledge of Java/Scala especially in relation to big data open source software preferred; knowledge of NiFi
- Knowledge of non-relational (Cassandra, MongoDB) databases preferred
- Predictive analytics and machine learning experience (scikit-learn, Tensorflow, MLlib, recommendation systems) preferred
- Experience with integrating to back-end/legacy environments
- Experience with industries such as FIs, INS, High Tech and Retail/CPG
- Knowledge and familiarity with machine learning models application and production pipelines
- BSc in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information System, Mathematics or equivalent quantitative field preferred
- Collaborative attitude, willingness to work with team members; able to coach, participate in code reviews, share skills and methods
- Constantly learns from both success and failure
- Good organizational and problem-solving abilities that enable you to manage through creative abrasion
- Good verbal and written communication; able to effectively articulate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes
- Experiments with emerging technologies and understanding how they will impact what comes next.
What about Perks?
Manulife has lots of perks including, but not limited to:
Retirement Savings Accounts including a RPP (Pension Plan), RRSP (Retirement Savings Plan), and TFSA (Tax Free Savings account)
Manulife Share Ownership Program with employer matching
Customizable Benefits Package including Health, Dental, Vision, and 100% of Mental Health expenses
Financial support for ongoing training, learning, and education
Monthly Innovation Days (Hackathons)
Wearing jeans to work every day
An abundance of career paths and opportunities to advance
This is a full-time permanent role located in Toronto, Ontario.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2017, we had approximately 34,000 employees, 73,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 26 million customers. As of December 31, 2017, we had over $1.04 trillion (US$829.4 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of June 30, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$877 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.