Come join us! Be part of an enterprising team that’s proud to support a vibrant, healthy, safe and caring community. We are seeking well qualified, dedicated, and enthusiastic and customer service focused applicants for:
BY-LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Chief By-Law Enforcement Officer, the By-Law Enforcement Officer is responsible for monitoring compliance with the Town of Bracebridge by-laws; identifying, investigating and reporting offences; enforcing Town by-laws in accordance with applicable legislation, regulations and policies; and providing education and awareness about the Town’s by-laws to members of the Public.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Patrols the Town of Bracebridge and responds to complaints to ensure compliance with various by-laws, including but not limited to; parking, dog control, burning, business licensing, noise, etc.
2. Works collaboratively with other municipal staff on matters associated with interpretation and enforcement of municipal by-laws.
3. Provides public education and awareness of by-laws and promotes safety.
4. Provides information, answers inquiries and processes ticket payments from members of the public.
5. Undertakes various tasks associated with and including issuing parking infraction notices, provincial offence notices, inspection reports, burning and dog control notices, Lottery Licenses, public information brochures and other documentation and educational material as required.
6. Attends private and public properties in response to public complaints.
7. Investigates by-law offenses and attempts to obtain voluntary compliance and lays charges when necessary.
8. Collects, complies and maintains evidence to prepare for court proceedings.
9. Attends and provides evidence in court in support of charges laid.
10. Picks up stray dogs or dogs at large and impounds them as required.
11. Removes illegal signage.
12. Performs the duties of a School Crossing Guard as required.
13. Attends training and stays current with changing regulations and requirements affecting the day-to-day operation of the By-Law Enforcement Branch.
14. Conducts research and provides input, recommendations and support for the creation and amendments to staff reports, policies and by-laws.
15. Attends Council and Committee Meetings, and other related meetings as required. The Corporation of the Town of Bracebridge Job Description By-Law Enforcement Officer Page 2 of 3
16. Provides backup assistance to other staff as required.
17. Assists with implementation and maintenance of The Ontario Municipal Record Management System (TOMRMS) and the Electronic Document and Records Management System (EDRMS).
18. Works in a friendly and courteous manner and communicates effectively with co-workers, supervisors, elected officials, and the general public.
19. Undertakes special projects and performs other duties as assigned in accordance with departmental or corporate objectives.
1. Ontario Secondary School Diploma and a minimum of a two-year diploma in a Police Foundations, Law and Security or Justice program, or equivalent.
2. Strong judgement and reasoning skills to interpret and apply a variety of Municipal By-laws and Provincial legislation and regulations including during field inspections.
3. Certification as a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer with the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers’ Association of Ontario is an asset.
4. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Municipality’s By-Laws.
5. Good working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS 2015.
6. Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications including Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
7. Strong written and verbal communication, administrative, organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills. Highly developed communication skills with an ability to obtain buy-in and provide information in potentially highly charged circumstances.
8. Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment and to exhibit courtesy, tact and diplomacy in dealing with the public, department officials and other members of staff including the ability to use sound judgement in stressful situations. Ability to adhere to confidentiality requirements at all times.
9. Ability to provide an acceptable current Vulnerable Sector check.
10. Ability to assume rotating standby duties and to respond to call-outs in Town in response to complaints received outside of regular business hours.
11. Possess the physical ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
12. Pleasure Craft Operator Card, or willingness to obtain, an asset.
13. A valid class “G” Ontario Driver’s license and Drivers Abstract, in good standing and a reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. Physical demands require extended periods of standing, sitting, computer usage, driving, walking and climbing including rough terrain. Ability to lift 25 kg from ground to waist height.
2. High level of activity and output with frequent year-round deadlines.
3. Working conditions vary from an indoor environment to exposure to inclement weather conditions, both hot and cold; rain, wind and dust; and exposure to public criticism and stressful interactions with members of the public seeking resolution of outstanding matters or enquiries related to by-law enforcement matters.
4. Ability to work scheduled shifts including weekends and overnight, stand-by and on-call.
Reference ID: 2021-O-007
Application deadline: 2021-08-04
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $33.33-$36.73 per hour
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- On call