The Expert, Solution Architect – Locomotive Onboard System is responsible for defining and recommending a sound architecture that supports business needs and that is aligned with CN’s directions and standards. In additional, the role defines solution score and plan architecture, collaborates with Enterprise Architecture and architects, provides direction in the solution delivery to Designers and Integrators. The incumbent builds the solution and gets approval from other stakeholders (e.g. security, Reliability, Availability, Maintainability (RAM), Safety), drives alignment of the proposed solution with the Enterprise and Domain strategies, masters plans and roadmaps and manages risk mitigation, and drives issue escalation and resolution related to the architecture. The position signs off on architecture depending on the delegation authority and governs the architecture implementation during the design phase.
Build Solution Architecture
- Create, scope, plan, document and estimate work required to deliver solution architecture
- Work with peers and designers to make sure the proposed solution is realized as per the architecture requirement
- Prepare and review solution’s technological evolution
- Build technology roadmap for 6 to 18 months
- Lead communication and drive escalation and resolution with stakeholders
- Ensure technical development of subordinates
The role has standard working conditions in an office environment with a regular workweek from Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of the role, the incumbent must be able to meet tight deadlines, handle pressure and manage stress. The role requires 3 to 4 short business trips per year across North America.
- Minimum 10 years of overall work experience
- Minimum 5 years demonstrating technical leadership qualities or overseeing deliverables
o Experience in Operating Technologies, I&T, Development engagements, Prime Integration
- Any experience for these above would be considered as an asset
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Sciences, Engineering or equivalent
- Graduate studies in Computer Sciences or Engineering*
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification*
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Certification*
- Any designation for these above would be considered as an asset
- Inspires others with impactful communications and adapts to the audience through speech and writing
- Applies analytical thinking
- Innovates through problem solving
- Knows the business and stays current with industry trends to elevate expertise and work
- Demonstrates organizational abilities
- Collaborates with key internal stakeholders to enable higher productivity
- Works independently with little supervision
- Knowledge in architecture within numerous fields such as business, application, information and technology architecture facets
- Applied engineering, mission critical system of systems
- Knowledge of Embedded System Development*
- Knowledge of Railroad environment standards*
- Knowledge of Network and Communications systems*
- Knowledge of Energy Management systems*
- Knowledge of Power and Control systems*
- Any knowledge for any of the above would be considered as an asset
Decision Making & Impacts
The Expert, Solution Architect – Locomotive Onboard System is responsible for balancing risk, impacts and benefits for the best CN investment. The expert also ensures facts are presented in order for decisions to be made and solution approved. The incumbent drives decisions with all I&T stakeholders by exposing after thorough analysis all facets of the decision. The type of decisions include: how Business needs to be supported in terms of people, process or technology; how to support Business capabilities, re-use existing technology, buy new or build while minimizing impacts to I&T and Total cost of ownership (TCO). Additional tasks may require solution approval of low and medium risk and impact per the architecture delegation of authority as well as making the right investments choices in I&T enablement of business capabilities.
Level of Interaction/Influence
The Expert, Solution Architect – Locomotive Onboard System interacts with individuals internal and external to CN. Within the organization, the incumbent liaises with I&T Directors and Senior Managers to present projects’ architecture, other Solution Architects, experts, vendors, Analysts, Designers, Project Managers to resolve issues and manage risks. Furthermore, the Expert interacts with Enterprise Architecture and other I&T teams to get the decisions accepted, and architecture leadership to obtain solution approval. Outside of CN, the role communicates with vendors in evaluating and selecting product integrators to deliver solution architecture for a project or program.
Employees Supervised/Organizational Structure
The role has no supervisory responsibility.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.