Western Forest Products has an exciting opportunity for a Payroll Manager based in Vancouver Corporate Office. The Payroll Manager is responsible for effective and efficient operation of multi – site Payroll by ensuring company standards, internal controls, federal, state and provincial laws, and union agreements are adhered too across multiple legal entities in Canada and Washington State. This role will also be responsible for designing and implementing new approaches that focus on process improvement, and directing the assignment of payroll tasks to ensure that workflow is at its most efficient while ensuring a high quality of internal customer service.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Support high volume payroll processing for salaried and hourly employees across Canada, the United States and Japan
- Partnering with the HR team, support on-boarding and off-boarding processes, administration of benefits and pension related processes and reporting.
- Ensuring compliance with all federal, state and provincial laws, ensure accurately and timely payroll federal and state related government and agency reporting including quarterly 941’s and annual W-2 and T-4 preparation, and associated reporting such as garnishment reports and verification of employment
- Ensure all financial controls are operating correctly, including preparation of account reconciliations, and other financial reporting requirements.
- Ensure Data Privacy Rules are accurately executed to fully address the business risks in an environment with high dollar materiality and safe guard from Data Privacy breaches.
- Evaluate maximize system capabilities to streamline and simplify existing payroll and benefits processes to ensure they are fit for purpose.
- Stay up to date on federal and state payroll legislation and policy changes and proactively implement changes in policy, systems and reporting.
- Provide effective analysis, management reporting and strategic planning for the effective immediate and long-term operations of the payroll function while interacting with other key departments such as finance, IT and HR. Lead on Payroll department projects.
- Monitor the payroll system, identifies any issues, makes short-term recommendations to resolve and liaise with the I.T. department to ensure system issues are managed long term.
- A positive coach, mentor and trainer. Ability to manage a payroll team developing their individual growth while maintaining smooth departmental operations and ensuring exceptional customer service is provided.
- Ensure a close working relationship and partnership between HR and payroll and provide support for the implementation of ADP HRIS module functionality.
- Partner with HR to evaluate and streamline HR/Payroll processes that are fit for purpose and drive ownership, data integrity and efficiency.
WHO YOU ARE
Education and Experience
- Qualification in finance, economics or business administration;
- Canadian Payroll Association certification of Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) is preferred;
- CPA designation is advantageous.
- 10+ year’s progressive Payroll experience, 6+ years in a management role in a unionized environment with multiple locations in an international setting.
- US and International Payroll processing experience is required;
- System conversion experience is an asset;
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Thorough knowledge of Canadian and US payroll processing including federal/state/ provincial laws, regulation, and guidelines as they apply to this function;
- Knowledge of Canadian and US tax and social security laws is essential;
- Experience with international payroll is considered an asset;
- Proficient with ADP Workforce Now
- Affinity with Human Resources and related terms and conditions (Collective Labor Agreements/legislation/ benefits)
- Solid understanding of Controls Framework Guidelines and execution of controls;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to enable the development and management of the team, with a good balance between managerial skills and an eye for detail and quality;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills to meet deadlines and provide best in class payroll services through standardization and alignment;
- Ability to engage with stakeholders across all functions and levels in the organization;
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities concurrently and deliver flawlessly;
- The ability to proactively analyze potential threats and opportunities for the organization from changing business conditions and legal requirements;
- Identifies and explains internal and external forces impacting payroll process, shares knowledge with others and is aware of legislation affecting payroll.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
We value our employees and offer a comprehensive total rewards package, which includes competitive compensation with a pay-for-performance philosophy, employer-paid benefits, pension and other programs designed to support our employees and meet their needs. If you invest your time and talents in our company, we will invest in you.
We strive to support our people in reaching their full potential. We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance, and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
ABOUT WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS
Western Forest Products is a Canadian forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. We are committed to providing the most sustainable building products on the planet. With operations in the coastal region of British Columbia and Washington State, Western Forest Products meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering sourced from our secure access to a variety of coastal BC tree species. Our progressive approach to safe and sustainable forestry practices and large investment in manufacturing ensures the health and prosperity of our forests, communities and business for generations to come.
We provide equal opportunity in recruitment, career development, promotion, training and rewards for all employees.