Job title :
INFECTION PREVENTION AND CONTROL HAND HYGIENE OBSERVER CO–OP STUDENT
ROYAL INLAND HOSPITAL
Interior Health Infection Prevention and Control department is hiring a Hand Hygiene Observer Co-op Student at the Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops, B.C.
This is a four month term casual position, from approximately December 30, 2019 to April 30, 2020. Hours of work per week may vary, some early mornings included.
Hand Hygiene is the most important way to prevent the transmission of infection.Several years ago Interior Health formed a Hand Hygiene Program to improve patient safety. Part of the program involves observing healthcare workers cleaning their hands and recording the observations.
As an integral part of the infection prevention and control team, the Hand Hygiene student will observe healthcare workers hand hygiene practice and may provide feedback to staff among all levels of healthcare. The Hand Hygiene observer will work closely with the Infection Control Practitioners, providing them with hand hygiene feedback.
The student will be included in development, implementation, and evaluation of education strategies. Interior Health utilizes the observation tool that was developed by the Provincial Hand Hygiene Working Group under the direction of the B.C. Ministry of Health.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct hand hygiene audit observations including electronic data collection
- May provide education to staff on hand hygiene practices when knowledge level allows
- When knowledge level allows, may engage staff in the hand hygiene process through questions, discussions and interactive demonstrations
- Identify staff learning needs (knowledge gaps)
- Assess barriers to effective hand hygiene practice and provide feedback of missed opportunities
- Assist in hand hygiene promotional activities
- Assist in other Infection Prevention and Control initiatives or projects
Come live, work and play where others only vacation. Apply Today!
Education, Training and Experience:
- Current undergraduate student in a coop program, with completion of at least one year of university education
o Interior Health will provide hand hygiene observation training
Skills and Abilities:
- Drives an Interior Health vehicle(must have valid class 5 BC license) across a wide area within the health authority to conduct hand hygiene observations
As part of your application, please ensure to:
- Must have physical ability to perform the duties of the position
- Must be able to work with related equipment (smart device/phone)
- Must have strong computer skills including proficiency with MS Office as well as database and internet applications and tools
- Must be creative and innovative
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Must be able to work independently and have a high degree of personal initiative and motivation
- Must be available for overnight travel
- Must have a keen sense of direction
- Upload your resume, cover letter;
- Indicate if you are enrolled in a co-op or internship program;
- Include your co-op coordinator's contact information (name, email, phone);
- Indicate if you are available for the full work term;
- Include your expected graduation date.
Successful applicant must have a valid class five BC driver’s license and strong computer skills. Must be available for overnight travel.