Position: Line Cook
Rating: Staff of the Kitchen
Salary: $18 - $20 per hour plus discretionary bonus (0-10%)
Benefits: Health & Dental after 6 months; Pension Plan after 1 year
Assisting the Head Chef and Sous Chef in leading the line, creating world class dining experiences for our members and guests. This is your opportunity to work in a Kitchen committed to preparing and serving the finest meals.
The University Club of Toronto has built a reputation as a centre for arts and culture within the private club genre. With fine dining, casual dining, overnight accommodations and sports facilities, the Club runs two separate Monday to Friday daily formal and casual dining areas, private functions seven days a week and special Club events for members featuring guest speakers, wine makers, music and the arts evenings as part of a sophisticated offering of event programming. Known for its fine wine and dinner pairings, the Line Cook will be expected to assist prepare matched menus to complement wines brought in from around the world as per the direction of Head Chef.
This is a position where you can let your creativity shine, whether through our daily menus or through special banquets and events.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Head Chef, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the Head Chef and Sous Chef in all operations of the kitchen area
- Carry out on-going training to the high standards set by the Head Chef
- Supports the Club through Food & Beverage initiatives in retention and attraction of members
- Coach and mentor junior cooks and dishwashers
- Maintain and enhance the food products through supporting the Head Chef in creative menu development and presentation
- Offer professional, friendly and proactive guest service while supporting and motivating the kitchen team and working with the food and beverage services staff
- Ensure the consistency in the preparation of all food items according to Club menus and standards
- Participate in the Head Chef’s daily shift briefings to kitchen colleagues and maintain open communication
- Ensure all kitchen colleagues are aware of standards & expectations
- Liaise daily with venue Managers to keep open lines of communication regarding club operations
- Have full knowledge of all menu items, daily features and promotions
- Balance operational and colleague needs
- Ensure the cleanliness and maintenance of all work areas, utensils, and equipment
- Follow kitchen policies, procedures, service standards and monitor for performance
- Monitors all safety and sanitation policies when handling food and beverage
- Assist in preparing seasonal and holiday menus
- Support in controlling outlet food cost, through production efficiencies, and food waste
- Completes daily temperature logbooks and ensures FIFO of all received goods.
- Other duties as assigned
- Holding a valid Safe Food Handling Certification
- 5 plus years’ experience in culinary operation
- Creative forward thinking
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work cohesively with fellow colleagues as part of a team
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous always
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Lifting - Up to 50lbs 10% of work time
- Lifting - Under 20lbs 50% of work time
- Carrying - Over 20lbs 30"% of work time
- Pulling - Over 20lbs 30% of work time
- Describe Motions - Bending, standing, reaching, cutting, lifting, pushing, repetitive physical movements, dexterity and full range of motion of hands to whisk, scoop, cut scale, shape and move product as needed.
- Work Environment - Exposure to kitchen equipment – large and small ovens, stoves, steam kettles, mixers, sheeter, fryers, rational ovens, Steamers, grill, fridges and freezers as well as walk-in fridges and freezers
Visa Requirements: Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. The Club is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
APPLY TODAY: Whether you’re launching your career or seeking meaningful employment.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 to $20.00 /hour
- line cook: 3 years (Required)