Thresholds Homes and Supports Inc. is a community-based agency that promotes recovery and improved quality of life for people who experience mental health and addiction issues by providing affordable housing and individualized, flexible support services through our wide-ranging programs offered throughout Waterloo Region and Wellington County. Our staff are committed and passionate about what they do, and take pride in the difference they make in our community. Our values include PERSON-FOCUSED, HOPE, RECOVERY, SELF-DETERMINATION, QUALITY OF LIFE, INTEGRITY and COLLABORATION. We also take time to recognize each other and have fun!
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The Relief Crisis Respite Worker is part of a team that also includes full and part time staff that support individuals during their short-term stay. The individual will assist and/or provide practical support with cooking, cleaning, laundry, personal hygiene and medication support. The Crisis Respite Worker will work from our beautiful residential home located on a serene street in Kitchener near Ottawa Street and Weber Street (accessible by car and public transit).
- Review and screen initial inquiries and referrals
- Complete the intake process
- Respond to the present crisis and immediate needs of the individual
- Provide advocacy, referrals and linkages to other services
- In conjunction with the individual, develop crisis and recovery plans that reflect identified needs
HOURS OF WORK
- This is a casual position. Hours of work vary, however candidates must be available to work a minimum of 4 (8 hour) shifts per month and 2 of those shifts must be weekends.
- Available to work a minimum of 5 public holidays per year and 1 of those shifts must be either Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve or New Years Day
- Available to work days, evenings and overnights (awake shifts). All shifts are double-staffed in a unionized environment
- Minimum of a University Degree or College Health Sciences/Social Services Program. Candidates with Degrees/Diplomas in progress will be considered (students welcome to apply)
- 1-2 years of experience working with individuals with mental health and/or addiction concerns
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to respect the rights and personal preference in treatment, rehabilitation and support including the Recovery Model
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and work a variety of all shifts
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act
- Passion for community-based mental health and social services initiatives
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Additional Qualifications such as NVCI, ASIST, First Aid and CPR would also be an asset
- Experience working for an organization which provides housing and support services to individuals with mental health and/or addiction issues would be an asset
- Understanding and sensitive to the needs of people experiencing serious mental health issues
- Ability to work effectively with people with a variety of life experiences and culturally diverse backgrounds
- Personal philosophy and values that are compatible with Thresholds Homes and Supports
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thresholds Homes and Supports is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.