This temporary full-time position (35 hours per week) is available for the period of January 6th 2020 to April 9th 2020. Hours of work are Monday to Friday, 9:30 am – 5:30 pm, however additional hours may be required.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
Provide reception and clerical support duties for special projects. Provides exceptional client-centred service on a consistent basis to all stakeholder groups.
1. Provides clerical and administrative support for Special projects.
a. prepares and produces a variety of correspondence, course materials, teacher’s guides, reports, forms and learning packages; drafts routine correspondence for signature;
b. organizes and maintains electronic and manual files for the department, purges and ensures security of information;
c. sorts and distributes incoming mail and documentation; collects and transmits outgoing mail;
d. maintains a stock of standard office supplies for use by the area;
e. assists with logistical duties including arranging room bookings for department activities;
f. assists with arranging meetings for the project;
g. assists in compiling information and/or statistics for reports or other material including distribution of the material;
h. prepares and produces routine purchasing, accounting, Registrar’s office and personnel documentation, following through to ensure processing is complete.
2. Provides information and assistance to Students and callers.
a. receives visitors and telephone callers, ascertaining requirements, answering questions and referring to other College resources and/or personnel;
b acts as receptionist, receiving visitors and telephone callers, answering questions, making referrals and taking messages;
c. provides general information regarding the project and College services.
3. Performs other related duties
a. provides back-up support for other clerical positions in Special projects;
b. attends meetings.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
1. Completion of a one-year related program at a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum of two years related work experience with the public in a high volume fast paced environment or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated ability to:
- type correspondence, format documents, create mailing lists and merges files with an emphasis on grammar, punctuation and accuracy
- keyboard 55 wpm accurately
- perform computer applications including demonstrated proficiency with spreadsheets, database management, word processing software (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Iron Point Software), electronic mail, Internet and web applications. Proficiency on Customer Service Testing.
- communicate courteously and effectively in person, in writing and over the telephone with employees, students, and the general public, as well as maintain a good working relationship with other employees.
- work independently with a minimum of supervision, as well as being able to establish priorities, and achieve deadlines including the ability to multi-task.
- function effectively in a team environment, including exercising initiative in offering assistance to colleagues, working collaboratively to share tasks and responsibilities, and dealing effectively with conflict.
3. Demonstrated English language skills including strong oral a written communication skills.
4. Good working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures including standard business formats of letters and memoranda, and proven ability to coordinate paper flow.
5. Demonstrated experience and ability to function effectively in an environment where professionalism, a high degree of confidentiality and sensitivity are of primary importance; ability to be empathetic to the needs of all stakeholders and an awareness of cultural diversity.