BC Wildlife Park
Job Posting date August 9th, 2019
Closes when position is filled
THE BC WILDLIFE PARK HAS ONE POSITION AVAILABLE FOR A PART TIME ASSISTANT ZOOKEEPER
THIS POSITION WILL REPORT TO THE ANIMAL CARE MANAGER
This is a hands-on position responsible for delivering established animal care and wildlife conservation programs helping to ensure the British Columbia Wildlife Park meets the high standards of a provincial scale destination tourist attraction and conservation facility.
The Assistant Zookeeper reports directly to the Animal Care Manager and provides some work direction to part time staff and volunteers.
- Under specific direction delivers effective health and welfare practices for Park Wildlife and Wildlife Rehabilitation Program while at the same time provides some work direction to part time staff and volunteers.
- Follow established policies and procedures and deliver proper diet, required level of cleanliness, enrichment and hygiene of exhibits
- Maintain Zookeeper work areas to ensure a professional level of hygiene from a veterinary and food-safe perspective is maintained
- Maintain exhibits and animal care facilities to required standards
- Carry out procedures to ensure cleanliness of service yards and building
- Maintain positive relationship with park staff, veterinarian and guests
- Communicate in a timely way with department staff and veterinarians and assist in administering treatments, medications and procedures as required
- Provide support for education and interpretation at the park
- Follow established policies and procedures with regard to safe movement of animals within and outside the park
- Maintain daily digital records in ZIMS
- Participate in and provide some work direction in conservation programs such as Burrowing Owls Captive Breeding and Wildlife Rehabilitation
- Contribute to efficient operation of park by minimizing waste and maintaining tools and equipment
- Complete regular feed inventory, ordering feed as required
- Strive to enhance knowledge and skills pertinent to animals on exhibit
- Follow established policies and procedures to ensure safety of animals, public and staff
- Ensure junior staff, volunteers, etc. follow safe working methods
- Other responsibilities and duties as required
POSITION START DATE: September 2nd, 2019
RATE OF PAY AND BENEFITS: Wage to be determined as per BCWP Collective Agreement.
(Position is a union position: CUPE Local 900)
Part time: Up to 30 hours/week and will be required to work evenings, weekends & holidays
- Education and Experience
- High School or Equivalent Education
- Post secondary degree or diploma in a related field is an asset
- 2 years related animal care experience, preferably in a zoological environment
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License
- Fire Arms Certificate or willingness to get one.
- RCMP criminal record check
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada and a BC resident
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of all aspects of animal health and care, including reproductive habits, physiology, behavior, nutrition, pathology and parasitism of animals, birds and reptiles
- Good observational skills with the ability to ensure animals meet standards of good health and ability to note any deviations in normal physical or psychological health
- Basic understanding of conservation philosophy
- Demonstrated ability to work safely with wildlife, including the ability to participate in medical treatment and preventative medication for animals
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills, with the ability to act quickly and calmly in Emergency situations
- Thorough knowledge of hazards and safety precautions for work performed
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good oral and written communication skills.
Job Type: Part-time