Residential Counsellor – Relief
Anova: A Future without Violence is a leading edge not-for-profit organization operating within a feminist model in London, Ontario. Anova is dedicated to meeting the needs of abused women and children by offering shelter, second stage housing, help lines, programs and prevention activities. We welcome applications from all those that are qualified, reflecting the diversity of our Community.
The Relief Residential Counsellor helps to ensure the safety and security of the families living in the shelters of Anova. They provide crisis intervention (via telephone and in-person) within the residential setting. They apply an understanding of the impact of violence and abuse on the women and children, in order to meet the needs of the families in shelter.
This position does not have guaranteed hours per week and is scheduled to meet the needs of the shelters covering vacation and wellness time off. Shifts are scheduled within a 24/7 environment and can be up to 12hours in length.
Starting rate of pay: $25.66 per hour
The successful candidate will have:
- Degree in Social Work or related field
- Registration as a member in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Services Workers is an asset
- A feminist perspective and knowledge of the political, social, medical, housing and legal issues affecting women and their children
- A commitment and passion for providing services to a diverse client base and marginalized populations
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of and commitment to working within a Trauma and Violence Informed Practice
- An understanding of and commitment to working within Harm Reduction and anti-oppressive practice
- A proven client-centered approach that addresses the holistic need of all through relational practice
- Knowledge of and commitment to working within an anti-oppressive and anti-racist framework
- Understanding of the diverse needs of the families we serve such as: mental health, substance use, sexual orientation and disability
- Knowledge of the effects of violence and abuse on women and children
- Cross cultural perspective and awareness; second language is an asset
- Strong computer skills in a Word, Excel
- Scheduling flexibility
- Bilingualism is an asset
- Current First Aid including CPR certification
Position Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for preliminary and ongoing assessment to identify client needs
- Providing safety planning for residents and those calling through the helpline.
- Facilitate supportive, non-judgemental counselling sessions, including using language interpreters for non-English speaking clients
- Offer crisis intervention, advocacy and assistance to residents in developing support plans that address safety and emotional needs, self-care, legal, financial, housing and other needs.
- Facilitation of groups for residents on a variety of topics related to their current needs
- Performing regular security checks and ensuring shelter maintenance is current and safe
- Provide appropriate referrals and information to residents
- Maintain a current awareness of issues facing the families we serve
- Participate in case planning meetings to facilitate communication and goals set by the residents
- Promote and maintain a relational and supportive association among clients, staff and volunteers
- Provide mentoring and feedback to students on placement
Please forward your cover letter and resume.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
As an intersectional agency Anova is committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunities. Be confident that our recruitment and hiring processes will be modified, if requested, provided the applicant has met Bona-Fide requirements for the open position. If contacted applicants must make any accommodation needs known in advance.
Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of candidate selection
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $25.66 /hour
- Social Work: 1 year (Preferred)
- VAW: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)