About the role
Are you looking to join as a potential Instrumentation Technicians at Stelco - Lake Erie facility in Nanticoke Ontario, Canada.
Safety is the Core Value of Stelco and the individual will make Safety the #1 priority in the execution of all work activities, including monitoring contractor/vendor safety in support of work efforts.
- Maintain, install, repair, setup of process control equipment (I.E. controllers, transmitters, final control elements);
- Maintain, repair and calibrate instrument and combustion equipment;
- Maintains proficiency in prescribed TSSA, ESA safety procedures, codes and standards;
- Perform special investigation and experimental work as required;
- Interpret electrical schematics and process flow drawings involving blueprints, PLC or DCS systems;
- Diagnose complex process problems, determines best resolve and execute safe repair;
- Work alone or in close collaboration with maintenance and production;
- Develop, provide and ensure complete and proper safety clearances and procedures as required;
- Prepare detailed daily activity log, updates drawings and calibration sheets when required;
- Detailed teardown and repair of control valves, actuators and positioners. Reassembles, tunes and setup associated hardware;
- Perform simple layouts and fabrications to install or upgrade instrument hardware;
- Respond to service calls on all gas and oil burning appliances, repair, replace or adjust components where needed;
- Employee may work alone, with minimal supervision or with other Maintenance Technicians in conjunction with operating team members to perform maintenance tasks.
- Instrumentation and Control Technician Certification of Qualification (447A) ;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in an industrial environment;
Job Skills and Knowledge
- Temperature Tolerance: The ability to withstand extreme temperatures;
- Reaction Time: The ability to quickly respond to process upsets;
- Static Strength: The ability to exert significant muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects;
- Trunk Strength: The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time, including bending and stooping;
- Dynamic Strength: The ability to exert muscle force at intervals throughout a work shift. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue;
- Agility: The ability to negotiate different areas of the plant, including climbing stairs and ladders, and moving around barriers;
- Manual Dexterity: The ability to quickly move and react.
- The job is within a heavy industrial environment and you may be required to work within various areas of the facility. Depending on the area you work in, the environmental conditions may be hot, cold, dirty, dusty, wet or noisy;
- Safety is our highest priority, and safety procedures and guidelines must be adhered to at all times. This includes wearing personal protective equipment, such as a hard hats, eye protection, hearing protection, respirators, flame retardant clothing and safety shoes with metatarsal protection at all times during a work shift;
- Employees work in a unionized, highly industrial setting;
- Our Lake Erie facility operates 24 hours per day, 365 days a year with varying hours of work including 8 and12 hour rotating shifts;
- This means that you may be required to work different days of the week each time you rotate shifts. In other words, you may be required to work Saturdays, Sundays and holidays;
- The position requires you to work overtime as needed;
- Punctuality and attendance are extremely important to the success of the operations in general as well as contributing to an overall positive team environment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Stelco is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment and selection process. Applicants should advise Human Resources if they require any type of accommodation during the recruitment process.
Imported from Workopolis
Job Type: Full-time
- Instrumentation: 2 years (Required)
- C of Q (447A)/ Red Seal (Required)