JJM Construction is involved in all aspects of construction such as heavy civil, structural, marine construction and environmental and navigational dredging. JJM is committed to providing every project with a highly skilled work force, a highly respected management team, highly developed quality control and safety programs and a commitment to growth, stability, quality and performance to get the job done right.
Position: Marine Deckhand with SVOP
Competition No: 2019-003
Location: Delta, BC
Schedule: Full-Time (based in out of Delta, BC - this is NOT a camp position)
A Deckhand is responsible for carrying out all work functions on marine projects in a safe and effective manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life. They perform tasks involving physical labour on marine equipment according to Transport Canada regulations.
The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the essential functions, while providing the highest quality construction services and products safely, effectively and efficiently to ensure JJM Construction’s principle of “Building to Last” endures for future generations.
Health and Safety:
- Strictly adhere to the JJM Construction OHS Manual.
- Follow JJM Construction safe work practices and safe job procedures.
- Follow the BC Occupational Health and Safety and Transport Canada Regulations.
- Ensure a safe work environment for our people, clients, subcontractors, and the public.
Operational Performance and Best Practices:
- Deckhand duties include making tow, transferring rigging, laying rigging, handling lines, dropping or picking up barges, checking the tow, moving and operating portable pumps, assisting in making locks or bridges, assisting in mid-stream transfers and general maintenance.
- Deckhands may be required to catch a line on deck fittings; work lines at locks, cast lines free when getting underway, and assist in the navigation of the boat (not from the wheelhouse).
- Launch, use, and operate a skiff (small work boat).
- Must know how and when to use the emergency equipment located on the vessel.
- Troubleshoot equipment that is difficult to reach: work in areas that have high noise levels: work below decks in an area that may experience periods of darkness in unusual situations: work in confined and restricted spaces.
- Communicate effectively with equipment operators via hand signals and radio communications while guiding/directing moving equipment.
- Maintain cleanliness of the barge and vessels, inspect equipment, chip and paint decks and superstructure of the barge and vessels.
- High degree of awareness of all marine and weather conditions and mobile equipment operation on barges.
- Operate hand tools, pneumatic hammers, vibrators and tampers, as directed.
- Review all safe work practices and procedures associated with the job prior to ask execution.
- Carry out work in a manner that will not jeopardize own/others safety.
- Lead by example.
- Wear, and participate in the ongoing training of, the required PPE for the position/task at hand.
- Perform housekeeping tasks and other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
JJM Construction Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace with safety as a primary consideration in all we do.
- Industrial marine experience and valid Small Vessel Operator Proficiency, Pleasure Craft Operator Card and CSTS-09 certificate(s), required.
- Marine Basic First Aid, Restricted Operator’s certificate and MED A3 certificate(s) are an asset.
- Physically fit, with excellent stamina and the ability to perform manual labour.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract (per company insurance requirements).
If you are a motivated individual with a strong work ethic, positive attitude, commitment to safety and quality, enjoy working in a team environment and have a passion for our industry, please apply online.
JJM Construction thanks all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job Type: Full-time
- industrial marine: 1 year (Required)