The Second Cook is responsible for assisting in the general production within the kitchen. The position is responsible for assisting in maintaining all Delta Hotel Toronto East by Marriott Food and Beverage Policies and Procedures as they relate to the kitchen. Ensures all completed menu items meet or exceed posted standards for presentation. Ensures department is clean, safe and waste is kept to a minimum.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains professional internal/external guest service: smiles, creates eye contact, and uses guest / employee names when known
- Maintains Delta Hotel standards for food preparation, quality and presentation
- Adheres to standardized recipes and specifications
- Ensures that work station opening and closing procedures are carried out
- Prepare for all food production and maintains proper food rotation of line items
- Takes an active role in the production and presentation of all food products
- Offers all assistance possible to internal and external guests
- Reports any deficiencies of equipment or product to Sous Chef/ First Cook
- Ensures cleanliness and hygiene is maintained in the various kitchen areas including refrigerators and storerooms Unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, cupboards and other storage areas
- Rotates food in assigned refrigeration.
- Ensures proper labeling, storage and handling of all food products
- Carries out side duties and cleaning schedules as requested by the kitchen management team.
- Maintains all occupational standards including WHMIS and regional health department policies
- Ensures all duties, logs and checklists are completed
- Performs other related duties as required
Food Preparation Specializations
Stocks, soups and sauces; Eggs and dairy; Cold kitchen (salads, appetizers, sandwiches); Vegetables, fruits, nuts and mushrooms; Hors d'oeuvres; Meat; Poultry; Pasta; Fish; Seafood . Types of Meals/Food Prepared
Breakfasts; Lunches; Dinners; Banquets; Buffet; Full course meals .
- Prepare and cook full course meals;
- Prepare and cook individual dishes and foods;
- Ensure quality of food and determine size of food proportions;
- Work with minimal supervision;
- Prepare dishes for customers with food allergies or intolerances;
- Inspect kitchens and food service areas;
- Work with specialized cooking equipment (deep fryer, ovens, stones, etc.);
- Clean kitchen and work areas
- Most work tasks are performed indoors.
- Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers and kitchens, possibly for one hour or more.
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen.
- Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other locations of the hotel on a timely basis.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
Job Type: Full-time
- line cook: 2 years (Required)