Youth Horizons program provides support in a safe home environment to at-risk youth (13-18 years of age) receiving services through the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). WJS staff support these youth in making favorable choices that facilitate success in achieving a sustainable, healthy lifestyle in a safe, educational and nurturing environment. We provide positive role-modeling and consistent structure, within a trauma-informed care framework.
The Youth Horizons program is located in a freshly renovated two-story home in the Gordon Head area of Saanich where each resident has their own bedroom and shares the common areas of the house with their housemates. We offer a safe environment in a friendly, residential neighbourhood. Youth Horizons also operates a semi-independent suite that supports youth that have experienced success in programming to prepare with minimal supervision for their transition to adult services.
In Your Role You Will
- Plan and implement activities and special events for the program.
- Oversee the day to day operation of the program by ensuring that the necessary facilities and equipment are in place, adhere to program policies, guidelines and best practices, and meet program standards and licensing requirements.
- Assist with recruitment, selection, dismissal, orientation, training, monitoring and supporting contractors as required.
- Make recommendations to the supervisor regarding program development, policy and procedure formulation and program evaluation.
- Promote public awareness of and support for the program by performing duties such as producing promotional materials and attending community events.
- Liaise with community service providers and other professionals to coordinate service provision, facilitate referrals to the program and represent the organization and/or program in external events.
- Monitor and authorize program expenditures and maintain financial records in accordance with the agency’s established procedures. Provide input to the supervisor in the preparation of the program budget.
- Maintain related records and statistics and produce reports as required.
- Operate motor vehicles safely and legally while transporting persons served or on WJS business.
- Provide on-call and emergency coverage on pager or cell phone as required.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as required.
The Program Coodinator 1 plans, implements and oversees the day to day activities of a program in this CARF accredited agency. They participate in program development, formulation of policies and procedures, program evaluation, and budget preparation, and works closely with community partners. They also carries a direct service caseload. This position requires union membership with BCGEU.
This full-time position will work 40 hours per week, with a weekly schedule of:
- Sunday 0700-1500
- Monday 1000-1800
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 1400-2200
Criminal Record Check/Ministry Check Statement
***Prior to confirmation of employment with WJS Canada, all applicants are required to participate in MCFD screening and provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) BC Ministry Check.***
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- A diploma or degree in one of the humanities, social work or related field. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum of two years recent related experience in complex health (personal hygiene and seizure experience is an asset), or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Some supervisory or management experience preferred
- Valid CPR/First Aid
- Valid BC Driver’s License with clean driver’s abstract and a reliable vehicle
- Non-Violent Physical Crisis Intervention Certificate and Conflict Resolution Certificate
- Clear physician’s note confirming suitability, including a negative tuberculosis screening test
- Positive behavior supports experience
- WHMIS, and Food Hygiene and Sanitation certificates an asset
- Ability to comprehend information and communicate effectively both orally and in writing (in English), including business communications and basic mathematics.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'We serve individuals and families with high quality, personalized, and culturally responsive support'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
While WJS serves individuals in many communities across Canada, this opportunity is in Victoria, BC. Situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a wonderful blend of old and new experiences. As the provincial capital, Victoria offers the mildest climate in Canada. With scenic views, heritage architecture and culinary delights, Victoria is an area rich with personality. Often amongst the top destinations in Canada, Victoria offers a close-knit community, rich with community festivals, eco-tourism and opportunity. For more information on living and working in Victoria, visit: http://www.victoriachamber.ca/
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website:
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.