To analyze and underwrite highly complex new and renewal business, under minimal direction, utilizing The Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework as a subject matter expert, ensuring a high level service to customers.
High Level Influencer Externally Focused - The job’s core deliverables rely on influencing or negotiating with external contacts on strategic impact matters. Relationships typically involve persuading or countering opposition, often with vendor representatives or senior management level customers.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 12 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- Post-secondary Degree and 10 or more years of experience in Underwriting
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s Degree, B.Com or MBA an asset
- Advanced knowledge and practice of line/s of business
- Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- Ability to effectively assess risk
- Ability to work in a team-based environment
- Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Multiline experience - primarily in the P&C space- large/complex risk – captive experience an asset
- High level of P&C technical competency
- 10 plus years’ experience minimum
- Ability to effectively assess risk for international & /or complex risks, and deal structuring (SIR/Alternative) accounts
- Strong ability to analyses results of actuarial tools used to simulate alternative structures and capable of articulating results and propose solutions to large sophisticated clients.
- Working under minimal direction, underwrite and analyze new and renewal business within delegated authority levels of highly complex assignments.
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge and expertise in products and industry.
- Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations, and rating manuals.
- Work at the highest authority limits on assignments utilizing the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination. Develop and maintain relationships with distributors (agents & brokers) in support of business retention and acquisition and works with customers and distributors (agents & brokers) to determine their insurance related needs and provide solutions.
- Support the organization's sales culture by being a Help Point for agents, brokers and customers.
- Contribute to the development of propositions. Provide technical guidance, assistance, and training to lower level underwriters.
- Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
- Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
- Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
- Make agent/broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
- Negotiate Terms & Conditions and close deals.
- Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase product density with the account.
- Participate in Sales Team meeting as related to assigned brokers and / or territory.
- Proactively engage in the target account process, managing a qualified list of opportunities 90 to 120 days prior to effective date.
- Update required systems with details of broker / client visits and account status within specified time frame.
- Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts.
- Develop strong broker and client networks as related to industries underwritten by Business Unit.
- Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
- Sponsor / lead product development.
- Develop training.
- Drive/manage how Business Unit will deal with emerging issues.
- Resolve technical issues for company.
- Provide expertise on coverage issues with claims.
- Develop u/w manuals, programs and guidelines.
- Handle & review large/complex underwriting submissions and annual underwriting reviews.
- Benchmark and establish best practices.
- Act as mentor.
- Business Travel, as required
- Extended Hours during Peak Periods, as required
- Maintain a Valid Driver's License, as required
- Regular Predictable Attendance
- Visibility in the Office, as required
Imagine working for a company that truly cares about their employees, customers, stakeholders, and communities they serve. Imagine working for a values-driven organization that has the ambition and desire to be the best global insurance provider in the world. Zurich is that place where 53,000 employees across approximately 200 countries and territories are all focused on helping people and helping companies protect what is truly most important to them. We are a values-driven organization that takes pride in the work that we do every day and we have the ambition to be the best global insurer in the world.
Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Primary Location Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Travel Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Posting 11/06/19
Unposting Date Ongoing