The primary role of the Feed Person is to accurately and consistently feed cattle as per directions from the Feed Manager. The Feed Person plays a critical role in ensuring cattle are fed high quality feed as per rations set out by the Feedlot Manager to ensure cattle make efficient gains while on the feedlot. An essential part of the Feed Person is maintaining equipment, reporting irregular animal behavior and reporting pen and bunk issues to the Feedlot Manager.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for people who are integrity driven, motivated and flexible to join our team. Those with strong communication skills, basic computer skills and are safety orientated.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Accurately and consistently feed cattle in a timely manner in the same order and same time every day.
· Build rations with accurate and consistent ingredient amounts.
· Follow mixing instructions as per ration sheets (i.e. mixing times, maximum load sizes, etc.).
· Ensure proper feed records are kept to ensure feed additive withdrawal times are adhered to.
· Spread feed evenly across entire bunk and clean any spills to reduce waste.
· Clear bunks of debris, rocks, manure, spoiled feed prior to delivering new feed.
· Maintain tidiness of silage pit and practice good silage-face management.
· Clean and maintain tidiness of mill and mill area.
· Ensure new cattle are fed appropriately in a timely manner
· Report pen maintenance issues or cattle health issues to Feedlot Manager(s) so problems can be rectified as soon as possible.
· Report any feeding errors or discrepancies to Feedlot Manager(s).
· Adhere to the Feed Truck Maintenance Schedule and pre-trip protocols.
· Run equipment – such as loader, etc.
Other duties as assigned by the Feedlot Manager(s) and/or Operations Manager other duties assigned could include cattle processing, maintenance and/or Yard work.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
The Feed Person reports directly to the Feedlot Manager. The Feedlot Manager assigns the Feed Persons duties and responsibilities on a daily and weekly basis. In order to be successful, the Feed Person will have regular daily communication with the Feed Manager. The Feed Person will also have regular communication with the Yard Manager & Cattle Manager. The Feed Person will also be in regular weekly communication with Kasko’s nutritionist. The Feed Person may have occasional communication with other office staff, customers, contractors and truck drivers
· On-the-job training will be provided, as needed.
· Additional training may also be provided, as needed.
The Feed Person is exposed to all environmental conditions working outdoors. This includes, but not limited to exposure to the elements such as sun, wind, rain, snow, hot and cold temperatures. The Feed Person should wear clothing appropriate to the weather conditions each day. The Feed Person is likely to work in dusty conditions in the mill.
Remuneration for this position is based on experience and quality of work. Incumbents of this position accrue 4% vacation which may be taken as paid vacation time off or paid out (after 3 months) upon request.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL KASKO CATTLE COMPANY EMPLOYEES:
· Take care of cattle first! Every reasonable effort should be made to ensure cattle are happy, healthy and comfortable. If anything is amiss on the feedlot, rectify the situation or report the problem immediately to ensure a low-stress environment is maintained for the cattle.
· Make a good first impression! Feedlots should be well organized and maintained to demonstrate the type of care and consideration we are also provide to the cattle. Do your part to ensure a good first impression and report any problems to your manager immediately.
· We are beef producers and must focus on food safety! Ensure we follow all food safety, veterinary and cattle handling guidelines to eliminate chances of any food contamination
· Attract and keep customers. Keeping our existing customers is priority number one. We can do that by treating their cattle as if they were our own. Our customers trust us with an important investment and we must do everything we can to protect their investment and ensure healthy gains.
· Treat all employees with respect and maintain a positive attitude.
· Communicate with manager about any workplace issues.
· Be flexible and perform duties as workload necessitates.