Team Lead – Afterschool Programs (Burnaby)
The Burnaby Neighbourhood House is a volunteer-driven, community-based social service agency that provides programs and services in response to identified community needs. The Team Lead is responsible for overseeing a targeted afterschool drop-in program. This is a free-of-cost program aimed at providing extra social/emotional support for participants with barriers. The Team Lead reports directly to the After School Program Coordinator.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- To promote Neighbourhood House philosophy by ensuring participants have the opportunities to connect across program areas.
- To ensure all policies and procedures, as set by the board, are followed
- To oversee and ensure a quality program for participants, ensuring social, physical, creative, and emotional needs are being met
- To provide ongoing supervision and support for staff and volunteers
- To assist the coordinator in management of the budget
- To provide initial orientation for new children
- To provide monthly statistics as required for agency
- Participate in community dinners and other BNH events as required
- Liaise with school and community staff
- To build positive relationships with participants and provide on-going social/emotional support
- To maintain positive relationships with other groups/programs in the schools
- To build relationships with parents and address concerns or to resolve issues
- Other tasks as required (staff training, evaluations, etc.) in cooperation with Director
Hours of Work:
- Knowledge and awareness of issues surrounding diversity and multiculturalism
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Course work in Recreation Leadership or Child and Youth Care, or completion of a combination of courses, in child development, guidance, health and safety, nutrition and leadership.
- High Five Certification
- 2-3 years’ experience providing care and mature guidance to school-aged children with challenges/multiple barriers
- Experience supervising and supporting staff and volunteers
- Current 1st Aid and CPR certification
- Current criminal record check
- Food Safety Level 1 (free online course)
- Anaphylaxis in a Childcare Setting (free online course)
- Documented compliance with BC's immunization and tuberculosis control programs
- Class 4 Driver's License an asset
- Food Safe Level 1 an asset
- 2nd language an asset
$18.10/hr. 12-17 hours per week. This is a term position that will run from January 2 –
June 19, 2020. Potential for staff to be hired into our summer programs.