Reception & Clerical Assistant
BCGEU OK Clerical
270501 - Clerk IV
UBCO - AVP Students
UBCO-Disability Resource Ctr
This position provides reception and clerical support to the Disability Resource Centre (DRC).
Reports to the DRC Manager. Provides reception for the centre and contributes to the overall operation of the DRC.
- Responding to specific and general inquiries from staff, students, faculty and general public
- Scheduling appointments
- Ordering supplies
- General office duties (e.g. receiving and distributing mail, printing, photocopying, and scanning)
- File management using an electronic filing system - Accuro
- Handling and securing confidential materials (exams)
- Website, Facebook and social media management
- Clerical support to DRC team members as required
2. Performs other duties as required.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
This position requires exercising judgment in interactions with students, staff, and faculty. Assignments are covered by well-defined methods and procedures. Occasional latitude exists for exercising judgement within established guidelines. Will solve routine problems, most unusual problems are referred to the supervisor.
Confidentiality and information security is an important aspect of the services provided by the DRC so, exercising caution in information sharing situations is required. Inappropriate sharing of confidential information could result in a breach of confidentiality and/or human rights. This type of error would reflect badly on the DRC staff and UBC Okanagan.
Having a clear and comprehensive understanding of the role and services of DRC to be able to provide direction and guidance as the first point of contact. Incorrect direction could result in delays in service provision to students or faculty. Delays in service provision or misinformation about services could be detrimental to a student's academic performance.
This position reports to the Manager of the Disability Resource Centre, but will also work in collaboration and in support of the tasks performed by other DRC team members.
This position does not supervise others.
High School Graduation plus a minimum of one year post-secondary education; a minimum of one (1) year of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Office Administration Certificate or equivalent an asset. Knowledge of university policies and procedures is an asset. Good knowledge of the university campus an asset. Ability to provide quality service to customers in a courteous, patient manner. - Operate job-related equipment (e.g. phone, fax machine, photocopier); intermediate knowledge level of MS Office software (e.g. Word, spreadsheets, Outlook); familiarity with an electronic file management system (Accuro) an asset.
- Maintain appointment calendars and schedule appropriate appointments - have strong organizational skills.
- Effectively manage multiple tasks and sometimes work under pressure.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in written format - have strong interpersonal skills
- Exercise tact and discretion.
- Comfortably handle stressful situations with a person who is upset or confrontational; people coming into the DRC are often distressed or upset.
- Work independently and in a team environment.
- Be flexible and pace work according to demand as the workload changes according to the academic cycle.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Apply online to this website https://hr.ok.ubc.ca/careers/staff/
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $39,792.00 /year