The Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay is currently recruiting for a Guest Services Supervisor. As a member of the Guest Services team, the Supervisor provides direct support to the team members on all operations. This role will be a highly focused service oriented individual, responsible for the successful operation of Guest Services in close coordination with the Director of Rooms. This position requires an energetic, self-motivated, detail oriented leader with a passion for going above and beyond to provide guests with exceptional experiences. This person is a role model and leader consistently exhibiting values with guests and associates. The Guest Services Supervisor is responsible for providing support and training to the Guest Services team in all areas of operations including arrivals, departures, reservations, night audit and shuttle service. The Guest Services Supervisor ensures that We treat ‘customers’ as guests in our own homes, demonstrating a “Guest First” focused attitude, in a fast paced workplace while fostering an environment where everyone is accountable for creating memorable guest experiences that drive loyalty and ensure 100% guest satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Rooms, the Guest Services Supervisor will:
· While the position reports directly to the Hotel Director of Rooms, there is a strong working relationship with the General Manager
· Responsible for the smooth operation of the Guest Services in the absence of the Rooms Division Manager
· Responsible for supervising the registration and check out of guests including processing customer payments, and supporting union team members as necessary
· Ensure consistency in the delivery of property reward benefits and services
· Assist in implementing and communicate customer satisfaction targets for department and ensure they are met and or exceeded
· Communicate and reinforce the service vision and standards to Guest Services Team
· Produces communication that creates team member confidence around making decisions on the job.
· Provide collaborative, energetic, support and feedback to associates. With an emphasis on recognizing and rewarding constructive behavior
· Conduct regular performance appraisals and performance management as necessary, focusing on associate growth and development
· Hire, train, mentor and supervise Guest Services team members with a focus on growth and development
· Conduct regular team meetings in order to set goals and objectives, address concerns and communicate information pertaining to the hotel's operations
· Responsible for driving up sell techniques at the front desk
· Carry out on-the-job training to new associates as required
· Control labour costs when possible by effective shift management
· Required to have general knowledge of Standards of Operation regarding Front Desk, Lobby, General Administration and Emergency Preparedness.
· Provide leadership, guidance and support to the Guest Services team.
· Assist with scheduling, payroll, coaching, performance management, hiring, performance reviews and training for of Guest Services team members
· Ensure excellent guest experience, service and productivity by all Guest Services team members
· Help ensure the budgeted profitability of the Guest Services Department through effective employment of staff, monitoring labour costs and controlling operating costs.
· Understand and comply with all health and safety rules, regulations and laws. Report unsafe acts or hazardous conditions ensure department equipment is maintained and operated in a safe manner;
· Act as a health and safety leader in the property, report all workplace incidents/accidents or near misses, role model wearing all Personal Protective Equipment required, and participation in fire safety plan;
· Ensure all COVID-19 Operating Protocols are followed and that the well-being of our guests and team members is always the priority;
· Perform other duties as assigned including assisting team members with their roles during peak periods.
· Liaise with all supporting departments to ensure a seamless experience for our guests, ensuring our vision of passionate people creating exceptional experiences is at the forefront of every interaction;
· Attend meetings and training as required;
· Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by the General Manager.
· Minimum two years’ Front Desk or hospitality or service industry experience
· Prior supervisory experience in hospitality environment preferred
· Must hold valid driver’s license with no restrictions where valet is required
· Demonstrated ability to interact in a team environment with several divisions/departments
· Excellent interpersonal and guest service skills and demonstrated ability to speak confidently in public
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
· Computer literate in property operating systems such as Opera, Maestro., as well as being proficient MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) is an asset
· Thrives in a fast-paced environment-maintaining composure and objectivity with guests and team members;
· Work varying shifts (morning, afternoon, evenings and weekends required)
· Overtime as required
· Hotel environment
· Physical demands include, but are not limited to walking, standing, reaching, pulling, pushing and lifting up to 30 lbs. frequently
· High level of mental effort and attention to detail
· High level of sensory attention; sight and hearing
· Interacts and communicates with guests, public and hotel teams
· Prolonged periods of standing and/or walking during peak operation periods;
· Computer use and cashiering skills required.
The company has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Policy which states that successful applicants are required to provide proof of full vaccination or proof of a documented exemption as part of the hiring process. Details of the policy will be discussed as part of the hiring process.
About Valhalla Inn
The Valhalla Inn is both the largest full-service hotel in Northwestern Ontario and the most unique. Located just minutes away from the Thunder Bay International Airport and near to some of the city’s main attractions, The Valhalla Inn is perfectly situated for any travelling to Thunder Bay.With a wide array of accommodations ranging from Executive Suites to Family Rooms and even Pet-Friendly Rooms, the Hotel boasts 265 rooms meeting every traveler’s needs. The Hotel is slated to begin a full renovation in 2021.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels. At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention. Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture. Help us build something exceptional! Successful candidates will be invited to a virtual interview!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Melissa Gillard at 1 800 964 1121.
The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $18.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
To ensure the well-being of our guests and team members, the Hotel has implemented thorough COVID-19 operating protocols.
- Are you legally eligible to work in Canada at this time?
- Hospitality or Hotel Front Desk: 2 years (preferred)