Position Title: Cook
Reports to: Hotel Manager
Location: Baker Lake, NU
This position requires relocation to Baker Lake, Nunavut
These roles are offered at a contract level (6 months or 1 year or 2 year) or permanent and the compensation package varies and meals while working is included. There is subsidized housing (either in a hotel room with cable and internet). There is also a travel allowance provided (up to $400).
The Cook is responsible for assisting in the supervision of the day-to-day operations of the restaurant under general supervision of the Hotel Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist in food preparation with the objective of ensuring an acceptable level of standard;
- To maintain good and regular communication with the General Manager, and with the staff;
- To maintain good housekeeping routine to insure the kitchen and dining room is kept in an acceptable level of cleanliness;
- To complete spot checks of inventory in the kitchen and dining room on a daily basis;
- To complete spot checks of the kitchen and dining room on a weekly basis and to report any problems to the General Manager;
- To assist in the preparation of the monthly menu and cost out all meal items to insure proper margin is being maintained;
- To perform other duties as required for the proper management of the kitchen and dining room.
- 3-5 years experience in the food industry and/or
- Formal educational experience including a Cook Level I or Journeymen's certificate;
- Valid Drivers License;
- Food Safety Handling Certificate:
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment;
- Extended hours of work, including 50-60 hours per week are not unusual in a hotel operation;
- Access to medical facilities is limited with many locations only having a nurse’s station.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $5,000.00 per month
- cook: 3 years (Preferred)
- Food Safe, SafeCheck, Food Handler or equivalent (Preferred)
- Prepare, season and cook food as directed, meeting dietary requirements where required
- Follow recipes and presentation specifications
- Clean and maintain station in practicing good safety and sanitation
- Adhere to all sanitation and food production codes