Director of Infrastruture
Position Title: Director of Infrastructure
Reporting to: Executive Director
Hours: 80 hours per two week -Full-time position
Start Date: 1st July 2020 or as soon as available
Wage: $82,000 + per year, depending on education, skills and experience
Lower Nicola Indian Band is a part of the Nlaka’pamux Nation and is located in the Nicola Valley near Merritt B.C. We invite you to learn more about us by visiting our website at www.lnib.net
Lower Nicola Indian Band is seeking an engineer for the position of Director of Infrastructure. This is a position offering a rewarding career for an individual who can manage a team dealing with a wide variety of challenges – from housing to water and sewer, and in between! Come join our team in the beautiful Nicola Valley.
Summary of Organizational Responsibilities:
The Director is responsible for the planning, development, and project management for: construction or repair of public buildings, earth structure (above ground and below ground), powerhouses, roads, bridges, canals and systems related to water distribution and sanitation. The Director also must manage, update and implement all policies pertaining to maintenance and repairs of the Band’s public properties, plan and manage capital construction projects and to provide related policy analysis for the Band Council.
Duties and tasks included but are not limited to;
- Responsible for the management of the Band’s Public Works department, including the maintenance of records and information that relate to the Band’s assets
- To development and implement capital project plans, including the development of proposals for funding for and the implementation of capital projects
- Project Management of all capital projects or alternately to supervise any contracted project managers.
- Prepare engineering analysis of projects including preliminary design, calculation, life cycle cost and equipment selection. – make sure most appropriate, cost effective people involved
- Conduct technical analyses of survey and field data for development of topographic, soil hydrological or other information and prepare reports.
- Prepare and interpret blueprints, schematic drawings, layouts and other visual aids.
- Prepare and manage yearly detailed department budget and workplan
- To develop such proposals as may be available to fund public or capital works projects
- To ensure that the environmental concerns of the Band are identified and addressed
- To assist the Departmental Portfolio holder to develop related policies
- Ensure a capital assets registry is maintained
- Create, maintain and monitor sector budgets
- Supervision and guidance for departments for Infrastructure, Housing, Facility Maintenance and Public Works
Important Skills and Experience:
- Critical thinking for developing alternative solutions or approaches to problems.
- Adept at perfromance management of self and teram.
- Solid interpersonal/communication skills, administration/organization skills.
- Experinced effectively liaising with various governments and organizations.
- Knowledge of funding agencies and applications processes.
- Computer competency in Microsoft products including MS Office.
- Driver’s License and access to private vehicle
- Ability to speak or willingness to learn the Nlaka’pamux language
Preferred Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Mechanical engineering with Professional Engineer designation preferred
- Three to five years experience in a senior supervisory capacity
- Knowledge of applicable federal, provincial and local building codes and safety laws.
- Experience in working in a First Nation’s environment and understanding of cultural norms and practices.
Office environment associated with productivity requirements. Deadlines maybe punctuated by short time lines. Work may require evening and weekend work and on call by cell phone in case of an emergency.
Preference will be given to members of the Lower Nicola Indian Band and/or other First Nations person.
Apply To: Deadline to apply: 26th June 2020
A full Job Description is available by request to HR at LNIB.net
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Flexible working hours
- Dental care
- RRSP Match
Reference ID: 17091
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $82,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- supervisory: 5 years (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Preferred)