Homewood Health is Canada's leader in mental health and addiction services and we offer the most comprehensive and integrated continuum of services available in Canada. We are redefining mental health and addiction services to help Canadians live healthier, more productive and more fulfilling lives.
With over 130 years of experience, Homewood Health Centre is one of Canada's largest and leading facilities for medically focused, physician-led treatment of mental health and addiction disorders.
We are hiring a Temporary Part-time Registered Practical Nurse to join the ASU unit at the Homewood Health Centre in Guelph and are looking for you. You’re a great fit, if you thrive in a fast-paced environment, are passionate about innovation, foster collaboration, and are committed to service excellence.
Hours of work:
This is a temporary part-time position until November 1, 2020.
Internal applications for positions within a bargaining unit must be
received within 7 days of this position being posted to have seniority considered as a factor in selection.
What you'll be doing
- Provides care, comfort measures; applies healing strategies; provides for safety; and monitors and assists with diagnostic and therapeutic efforts
- Current Knowledge and experience of assessment and treatment of psychiatric disorders, including prevention of suicide and management of aggressive behavior
- Collaborates with the RN and other health team members to keep workloads manageable and safe
- Specializes in the provision of holistic care which addresses the bio-psycho-social and spiritual needs of patients, families, and coworkers
- Practices within ethical, legal, professional parameters, standards of the College of Nurses and the hospital’s policies and procedures
- Balances many competing responsibilities and shifting demands. The RPN prioritizes work, contributes to care on the unit, and supports the interdisciplinary team
What we're looking for
- Licensed as a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Up to 6 months of experience in general nursing practice
- Training in boundaries, suicide awareness, and medication administration is an asset
- Ability to effectively manage crisis situations and deal with acutely ill patients
- Comfortable with leading groups
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Current knowledge and experience of assessment and treatment of psychiatric
disorders, including prevention of suicide and management of aggressive behaviour
- Proven ability and skill in working independently and with a team
- Commitment to working within Homewood’s Health and Safety Standards
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act (MHA)
- Knowledge of CBT/DBT is an asset
Why work with us
We are driven by our values and are passionate about improving lives. We offer a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package and professional development opportunities. Our remarkable organizational culture also makes for an exceptional workplace environment. Join us and work along-side highly motivated people who are collaborative and focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our clients and customers.
Employment Equity & Closing Statement
In accordance with the various provincial legislations that we operate under, Homewood Health is committed to working in collaboration with any team member who may require workplace accommodation in order to successfully perform any or all aspects of their role.Join Homewood Health and be part of an exceptional team that is helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.