Game Creation Ops Engineer
ENTERTAINING IS OUR PASSION EA was founded over 25 years ago by individuals with a deep passion for making games. Many things have changed over the years as the gaming industry—and the company—has expanded immensely, but we are still driven by the same passion for developing, publishing, and distributing the world's best games. Our history has been one of great success, and our future looks even brighter. Gaming has come a long way from Pac-Man & Space Invaders to modern EA Favorites like Burnout, Battlefield, Mercenaries, Dead Space, Spore, FIFA, Madden, Need for Speed and the world's most successful game franchise, The Sims. Fueled by our talented staff at locations right across the Globe we are united in our passion to continue shaping the future of interactive entertainment. Together we can make a difference.
About Game Creation Ops (GCO)
GCO maintains and enhances software applications and tools used by all game development teams across EA. These applications include Source Control, Bug Tracking, Test Case Management, Continuous integration and Code Reviews. GCO is fully integrated in a DevOps model where product management, development, operations, vendors, and customer service are tightly woven. GCO adheres to a Service Centric culture, where we listen closely to our customers, develop rapidly, report, iterate, and resolve items together quickly, in an Agile environment. EA game development activities occur globally, 24 hours 7 days a week, therefore our products and services are purpose built to be always available. A critical piece of this service is to monitor closely, optimize and ensure the ecosystem is resilient and performant, operating with high levels of system and service availability. As it relates to providing service for our applications, ownership of the outcome is critical to our customer experience. GCO will own items through the entire service life cycle, regardless of which team may be doing the work, to ensure there is always timely status, transparency and quality communication. It is our mission and core value to provide a superior customer experience, so much so that our emphasis is not on volumes of tickets or request resolution, but instead on how happy our customers are with the service and the quality of the interactions we have with them. While technical skills of our engineers are important to us, we believe that customer service skills, attitude and aptitude are a key to success. Paramount to this is a workplace culture where team members can grow, learn and innovate. We do this through establishing personal development roadmaps, upfront succession plans, celebrating successes, offering a safe place for failure, encouraging an entrepreneurial spirit and offering an inclusive environment.
The Game Creation Ops Engineer (GCOE) is accountable for overseeing services for all EA locations and clients to ensure consistent performance of our service. The GCOE is responsible for leading technical troubleshooting, driving front line activities for issues, ensuring the uptime and stability of our services, and acting as the first escalation point for all incidents and problems. The GCOE is also tightly integrated into the entire product development process, profoundly contributing to daily stand ups, task execution and coordination, issue tracking, vendor relations, and quality assurance. A critical function of this role is as GCO's service Domain Expert. In this role, the GCOE maintains an expert understanding of all systems, applications and integrations for all services. As part of this, they are continuously improving the services through developments activities, risk assessments, new features, and customer feedback. In addition, they are solely responsible for onboarding new team members, and accountable for identifying and maintaining domain succession plans.
- Operational interface with software developers and creators
- Provide frontline product expertise, especially during key business events (e.g. title launches, year-end close, M&A, etc..)
- Operational coverage aligned to usage of the product
- Resolve operational requests and issues to agreed quality metrics
- Flag repetitive operational tasks as automation opportunities and drive implementation
- Manage service interruptions (comms, incident, RCA, corrective actions etc)
- As part of product team define and deliver enhancements, develop enablers to reduce tech and ops debt, collect and publish performance and usage metrics
- Manage mandatory nonfunctional upgrades and testing
- Technical lead for Game Creation portfolio, including day-to-day operations, planning, forecasting, regular maintenance, audits, monitoring, analysis, reporting, and service improvements
- As a domain expert, support Customer Success Managers (CSM) with onboarding customers and provide 'as needed' training to address specific requests raised by customers
- Coordinate customers, partners, vendors, and stakeholders worldwide including leading calls and driving resolutions across multi-functional teams
- Facilitate product vendor relations for organization; interactions include cadence meetings, evaluations, licensing, defect tracking, service and support
- Provide onboarding, training, coaching, mentoring, and assessments for team members
- Participant in daily standups, including sprint planning, coordination of effort, and task assignment and completion
- Proactively engage in continuous service improvements as driven by customer feedback, knowledge of products, product roadmap, and strategic planning
- Build, maintain, and lead organizational awareness of problems via a 'Known Error Database'
- Principal leader for service outage & restoration during an incident's life cycle
- Partner closely with EA security to ensure compliance of existing policies, and new requirements are integrated into planning
- Partner with Central IT Operations team to align on common process, tools and technology for operations
- Manage projects from concept to final without direct supervision
- Software development, DevOps or SRE experience
- Source control management experience with git, GitLab or GitHub. Perforce experience is a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate with senior level stakeholders, including communicating complex technical problems concisely to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to manage multiple projects while maintaining a high quality of work
- Project management experience (PMP an asset)
- Experience with Agile and project management methodologies (PMP/ACP)
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services (experience with AWS & Azure is a plus)
- Strong background in operating systems including Linux, Unix and Windows Administration
- Advanced understanding of networking concepts; e.g. routing, subnets, DNS, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with virtualization, servers, and other related hardware
- Resourceful, proactive, curious and innovative - identifies issues and implements solutions
- Advanced English and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Highly organized with attention to detail and strong time management skills
- Extremely strong customer service orientation
- Proven attendance with ability to work shifts, after hours and weekends as required
- Bachelor's degree in related area of study or equivalent experience
Electronic Arts is the leading interactive entertainment company, powered by innovative technology. We create incredible experiences for millions of players around the world. But what matters most is our people who inspire us, and the world, to play. As we bring new forms of entertainment to people around the world, we need creative, collaborative, diverse and adaptable people to keep making Electronic Arts better.