Job Description Overview
West Van Florist™ opened its doors in 1933 and quickly grew to become a leader in the floral industry. It has occupied the same location since opening and is a permanent part of the West Vancouver community. Today, as a premium florist, garden shop, and giftware store, we offer the freshest, highest-quality flowers and plants that are available and feature the latest trends in flower, garden, and home decor gifts. To consolidate our leading position in the floral industry, we are looking for a Purchasing Manager with deep knowledge of inventory and supply chain management.
- Developing and implementing sourcing and purchasing policies, strategies and procedures.
- Planning, organizing and managing the daily purchasing activities of the business.
- Developing and managing purchasing budgets while assessing the total costs of the business’ purchases.
- Locating vendors of materials and supplies, and liaising with them in order to determine product availability and terms of sales.
- Nurturing relationships with suppliers and vendors and negotiating contracts, prices, timelines, etc.
- Ensuring that all procured items meet the required quality standards and specifications.
- Maintaining the supplier database, purchase records, and related documentation.
- Identifying and searching potential new suppliers and vendors as well as new products and services to meet the business’ goals.
- Analyzing market and delivery systems in order to assess present and future material availability.
- Forecasting price and market trends to identify changes of balance in buyer-supplier power.
- Monitoring and forecasting upcoming levels of demand for services and products.
- Reviewing purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
- Resolving vendor or contractor grievances, and claims against suppliers.
- Analyzing daily product and supply levels to anticipate inventory shortages.
- Ensuring product stock is adequate to cover direct demand from customers and placing orders to replenish stock avoiding insufficiencies or excessive surplus.
- Minimum a Bachelor's Degree.
- 3-5 years of experience as a purchasing manager in the retail industry.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks and RTI Total Management Point of Sale Software is preferred.
- Knowledge of ERP systems and related technologies.
- Experience and deep knowledge of supply chain management.
- Experience and deep knowledge of inventory management and analysis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and purchasing software, preferably Fishbowl.
- Familiarity with project management software preferably Jira.
Personal Skills and Qualities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong critical thinking and negotiation skills.
- Strong strategic planning and time management skills.
- Financial analysis and numeracy skills in order to analyze facts and figures.
- Problem-solving skills with an analytical mindset.
- Decision-making skills.
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment.
- Work under pressure.
- Attention to detail.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $42.50 /hour
- Purchasing management: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)