We are a boutique litigation law firm seeking to fill the dual role of an experienced Licensed Paralegal and Legal Assistant to work within a team-oriented environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Drafting and preparing correspondence and pleadings;
- Coordinating with process servers regarding service and filing of court documents;
- Taking responsibility for management of Debt Collection Litigation matters, including liaising with clients; negotiations with opposing parties; and preparing forms and pleadings for filing with the Small Claims Court;
- Contacting debtors to negotiate payment and resolve matters;
- Providing administrative support to law clerks and lawyers as needed;
- Processing incoming/outgoing telephone calls, mail, and couriers; photocopying, scanning, and faxing;
- Opening, maintaining, and closing files;
- Preparation of accounts (working knowledge of Lighthouse Legal Accounting Software would be an asset);
- Reconciliation of petty cash and lawyers’ expenses;
- Ordering and maintaining office supplies;
- Scheduling appointments/meetings, examinations for discovery, mediations, pre-trials, and making travel arrangements; and
- Maintenance of tickler/follow-up system.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Paralegal Licence in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- Working knowledge and experience with court forms, procedures, the Rules of the Small Claims Court, and the Rules of Civil Procedure;
- A positive attitude and interpersonal skills to enhance working in a team environment;
- A valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle for court appearances at Small Claims Court locations throughout Ontario;
- Great client service skills;
- Experience in preparing witnesses for attendance at trial;
- Experience in conducting Settlement Conferences, Motions, and Trials at the Small Claims Court;
- Ability to follow policies and procedures in place to perform day-to-day duties;
- Proficiency in MS Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and general office technical skills;
- Strong oral and written communication;
- Exceptional organizational abilities with the ability to manage a high volume of files;
- Ability to work well under pressure and to multitask;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Eagerness to take initiative;
- Ability to work independently; and
- Excellent conflict resolution, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
This is a contract position with the potential to become a full-time position.
Bennett Gastle invites you to submit your cover letter and resume. We thank all candidates for their interest in this position; however, only those who meet our requirements will be contacted.
Job Type: Contract
- Litigation: 1 year (Preferred)
- Paralegal: 1 year (Preferred)
- Ontario Drivers License (Required)
- Paralegal (Required)