The Registered Nurse, under the direction of the immediate Supervisor, establishes, monitors and delivers nursing care to clients as directed by the nursing care plan and in accordance with all required internal and external professional practice standards. As required, s/he provides support and direction to Licensed/Registered Practical Nurses and unlicensed staff involved in direct client care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Arrange and/or provide client care by utilizing the skills of observation, assessment, nursing diagnosis, counseling and health teaching; report any unusual circumstances to the branch office or to the immediate supervisor.
- Develop and review nursing care plans that are individualized to each client.
- Provide care according to the established care plan ensuring that, on an ongoing basis, the emotional, spiritual, physical comfort and safety of clients are met to the greatest possible extent; care must be within the scope of practice of a Registered Nurse.
- Perform routine nursing duties in accordance with company policies and procedures and Standards of Nursing Practice as defined by the provincial regulating body; perform specialized nursing procedures for which recognized training and current competency can be demonstrated.
- Perform specialized nursing procedures for which recognized training and current competency have been completed.
- Observe and document client conditions according to Bayshore Home Health standards.
- Receive and transcribe physician’s orders.
- Provide direction, support and delegation to Licensed/Registered Practical Nurses and unlicensed Field employees as appropriate.
- Understands and implements infection prevention practices.
- Participate in ongoing internal and/or external continuing education activities.
- Adhere to Bayshore Policies and Procedures.
- Participate in quality activities and continuous improvement initiatives in keeping with the company's Quality Management System.
- Participates in proactive Health & Safety activities while performing all duties. Is responsible to notify immediate Supervisor of any Health & Safety risks or concerns.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and corporate information and discusses same only with appropriate Bayshore personnel.
- Complete other tasks as requested.
Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing and current registration with the provincial licensing body. The position also requires a solid knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of community nursing.
At least two years of recent experience, preferably in a community setting; new grads may be considered for hire on an individual basis, providing they meet all other hiring criteria and that a mentorship program is implemented and that the new grad is closely supervised.
Other Skills and Abilities
Proven ability to effectively communicate with all levels of clinical and non-clinical Field employees and interpret company policies; strong track record in health teaching. Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to handle difficult situations in an objective consistent format; ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform and prioritize multiple functions and tasks; able to stand, bend, squat, kneel and reach freely; able to freely lift 23 kilograms; able to assist clients with standing, walking, sitting and rolling in bed; able to read and interpret technical instructions related to client care; able to visually and auditorially observe and assess clients; able to travel locally from assignment to assignment; evidence of current CPR certification; a valid driver’s license. For consideration for assignment to specialty cases, nurses require corresponding specialty skills/competencies i.e. IV therapy certification.