Senior Graphic Designer / Art Director - Kids AR/VR Books and Toys
Abacus Brands is a children’s toy and game company that specializes in AR/VR tech toys for kids. With a focus on full immersion STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) educational products and toys, Abacus strives to create dynamic products that inspire, engage and affirm a child’s interaction with the world. Our goal is to trigger both the left and right brain by activating logic and creativity at the same time.
Our latest product line and brand, Professor Maxwell’s® 5D is a cutting-edge line of kid’s Augmented & Virtual Reality products that combines educational content, including tangible projects and play (included materials), with mobile technology. Our products can be found in Costco, Amazon, Target, Barnes & Noble and in mass retailers in over 9 countries. Our brand has won multiple toy awards and generating massive buzz in the industry so finding the right person in terms of cultural fit is critical to our growth and synergy!
We are seeking an experienced, dynamic and vibrant Sr. Graphic Designer/Art Director! Please note this is NOT a UX game design role, you will be involved in all areas of design, ranging from book and box, to social and trade events and more.
As a Senior Graphic Designer, you will lead concept development, art direction, visual strategy and execution of marketing materials for a variety of mass market retailers.
Working with Copywriters, Designers, Social, Media and Digital teams, you’ll take each campaign from conception to final execution across all channels (in-store signage, box design, Web & Email, Social, Digital Media etc.) – all while adhering to Abacus brand standards. Your passion for all things design, keen eye for trends and masterful on-set direction will be the driving force behind bringing each campaign to life.
What You'll Do:
- Balance creative thinking with time management, organization and acute attention to detail
- Be involved in all aspects of creative from initial conception, overall look and style, to direction of creative on set at photo shoots, to approval of post and layouts.
- Offer a confident creative point of view and work collaboratively with multiple teams (Copy Writers, Production Artists) while building relationships with creative partners, marketing teams, photographers etc.
- Collaborate with sales and marketing team to develop pitch and presentation decks.
- Have an in depth understanding of imagery, composition and design, as well a strong ability to communicate and collaborate as well as proven experience on set with stills and video teams.
- Determine the photography, art or other design elements to be used
- Integrate creative concept throughout many channels (in-store, digital, online, retail, amazon, etc).
- Must be a self-starter with excellent attention to detail, organizational, communication, and project management skills, with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be able to prioritize when required, work on multiple projects at a time and manage tight timelines independently
- Pitch, present and champion ideas & concepts to senior team members
- Research and provide recommendations based on best practices as well as industry and consumer trends
- Implement design solutions to support the direction and focus established for projects
- Ensure the integrity of all creative is maintained according to brand guideline and standards
- Assist in clearly defining the production requirements for each project
- Manage timelines to ensure team is geared for optimal output.
What You'll Need:
- College or University degree in Graphic Design or higher trade education (post high school)
- 6+ years of experience in the Graphic Design/Art Direction/Marketing field in creative development and execution, with attention to trends
- Experience in a retail environment a plus
- Excellent creative and visual conceptualization, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively pitch and present ideas
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, evolving, dynamic environment
- Detail oriented, highly enthusiastic and a team player, with positive attitude and high energy level
- Ability to execute projects from rough concepts to the finished product across all channels
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of graphic design: layout, typography, colour theory and production processes
- Ability to develop innovative design solutions in accordance with company requirements and within brand standards
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple projects with tight deadlines
- In-depth knowledge of all design related software applications (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat) in a MAC environment
- Ability to easily adapt to new technology and adopt internal workflow systems
- Understanding of UI and mobile app interface design
- Relative understanding of emerging technologies like Augmented and Virtual Reality
1. A tiny blurb (cover letter) about yourself and why this position is right for you. This is your chance to showcase your personality, your desire to grow, your skills and talents, what you suck at, what you kick ass at, and what kind of energy you can bring to the table!
2. Your resume
3. A link to your portfolio or attachments containing recent work.
Please note that we'll reject any submissions missing any of the above 3, so please make it easy for us to see these!
Local candidates only please as we are looking for an immediate hire!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year
- Graphic Design: 6 years (Preferred)
- Vancouver, BC (Preferred)