Yellowknife Co-op invites applications for the position of Assistant Meat Manager to join our team at our Co-op Store located in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
Reporting to the Meat Manager, the Assistant Meat Manager will work in conjunction with the Meat Manager in the management and control of the meat department with the primary responsibilities focusing on the various retail activities of the Co-operative. The Assistant Meat Manager’s key accountabilities are in the management of the day-to-day operations of the Meat Department; supervision and the training and development of staff; achieving specific financial performance targets of the departments, and providing excellent member service.
The Assistant Meat Manager will also be required to have the knowledge and experience to cut meat as well. This will include all of the capabilities of the Meat Cutter role.
Responsibilities will include the following:
1. Policy and Procedure
Ensure that all established policy and procedure is adhered to as determined by the General Manager. Any deviations to policy and/or procedure must be communicated to the Meat Manager or General Manager. This is accomplished by:
· Firm understanding of existing policy and procedure;
· Uphold the mission, vision and strategic goals of the Co-op;
· Maintain and enhance established standards for members such as service, quality, ready for business and competitive pricing;
· Communication, training and clear direction to team members;
· Being knowledgeable in the basic structure and operating procedures of the Co-op and each department;
· The effective management of programs and resources.
2. Sales and Profitability
Assist the Meat Manager to manage the resources of the meat department to generate net savings that at a minimum meet the budgeted targets. This can be accomplished by:
· Developing marketing and merchandising programs to maximize sales targets;
· Controlling expenses to ensure that resources are effectively utilized;
· Effectively administer corporate policies and procedures to ensure profitability i.e.: ordering, best before dates, inventory control and merchandising product.
Pricing must be competitive with other competitors in the market place. This can be accomplished by:
· Maintaining budgeted margins for the department;
· Conducting weekly price checks to ensure the Co-op remains competitive;
· The development of systems to ensure that the cost of goods is controlled;
· Adherence to accounting procedures when processing invoices and claims;
· The maintenance of price integrity with the point of sale system.
4. Personnel Management
Assist the Meat Manager to oversee and provide the day to day management of personnel in the meat department. This includes but is limited to:
· Human resource management functions including staffing requirements and following established hiring guidelines along with all human resource polices/procedures;
· Ensuring staff have a clear understanding of their job descriptions, expectations, policies and procedures as well as goals/programs;
· Provide leadership, coaching, training and development to staff;
· Adherence to the union contract, all territorial and federal legislation, including all safety and compliance requirements. Any deviations must be reported immediately to the General Manager;
· The implementation, maintenance and enforcement of food safety and sanitation programs to ensure the Co-op’s excellent food safety record.
5. Other Tasks
Engage in other projects and activities as is necessary to the position and as assigned by the Meat Manager and/or General Manager.
· Minimum of three to five years related experience in a Supervisory/Management role in food or non-food operations;
· Ability to manage inventory levels, order stock and price products to achieve gross margin targets;
· Proven ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with customers, staff and management;
· Excellent people management skills including the ability to hire, train, motivate, evaluate, correct, develop, and increase staff performance in a cross-cultural environment;
· Well developed financial management skills including a good understanding of profit and loss management;
· Solid oral and written communication and presentation skills combined with customer service and problem solving skills;
· Strong leadership and interpersonal skills;
· Excellent organizational, time-management and project management skills;
· Progressive knowledge and experience in the industry including competition, trends and understanding the market place;
· Knowledge and experience in a computerized environment, including the operation and administration of Point of Sale (POS) computer systems. Proficient in office software packages including word processing, spreadsheets, etc.
If you do not currently reside in Yellowknife, this position could also include assistance with relocation.
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $65,000.00-$70,000.00 per year