Siemens Healthineers is building tomorrow’s talent.
Siemens Healthineers is seeking to fill an in-house Legal Counsel position based at our Oakville, Ontario head office. Reporting to the General Counsel, this is an opportunity to join a team dedicated to providing best-in-class legal advice that is integrated with business strategies and objectives.
Who Are We
Siemens Healthineers enables healthcare providers worldwide to increase value by empowering them on their journey towards expanding precision medicine, transforming care delivery, improving patient experience and digitalizing healthcare. A leader in medical technology, Siemens Healthineers is constantly innovating its portfolio of products and services in its core areas of diagnostic and therapeutic imaging and in laboratory diagnostics and molecular medicine. Siemens Healthineers is also actively developing its digital health services and enterprise services Siemens Healthineers has about 50,000 employees worldwide in 75 countries.
As a leading global healthcare company, we at Siemens Healthineers develop innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational, and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape. As a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics, and healthcare information technology, we have a keen understanding of the entire patient care continuum – from prevention and early detection to diagnosis and treatment.
For more than 100 years, Siemens Healthineers in Canada has stood for engineering expertise with a pioneering spirit in exploring and developing business opportunities to help healthcare providers achieve their goal of improving outcomes while reducing costs. From the Atlantic to Pacific oceans, our 800 employees in Canada work together to deliver solutions for healthcare providers, resulting in 70% of medical decisions being influenced by the technologies we provide.
- 70% of critical clinical decisions are influenced by the type of technology we provide
- More than 31 million Canadians benefit from Siemens Healthineers products every year
- An average of 85,000 Canadians per day receive treatment or tests from a Siemens Healthineers device
- Siemens Healthineers participates in 30 healthcare research collaborations in Canada
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated commercial and transactional health care lawyer, who will be responsible for providing timely and effective regional in-house legal support and counseling to Sales, Finance and other key internal stakeholders for diagnostic imaging, service, laboratory diagnostics and point of care product sales. In doing so, the Counsel will, among other things, negotiate and draft complex, commercial agreements regarding the sale of highly complex medical devices and related products, solutions and services and advise on related regulatory and risk management matters.
Legal Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel for Healthineers in Canada.
- Work in conjunction with colleagues to support the delivery of legal services related to Siemens Healthineers broad & expanding portfolio of medical devices and services, including offerings in diagnostic imaging, service, laboratory diagnostics, advanced therapies, molecular diagnostics & services, and point of care product sales.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements to meet business and legal requirements, including sales, group purchasing agreements, business associate agreements, distribution, confidentiality agreements and requests for proposals.
- Collaborate with sales, marketing, finance, and other departments to analyze business, regulatory and legal contract terms.
- Assist in the management of contract documentation flow, approvals, reporting and archiving consistent with internal processes.
- Actively counsel the senior sales and field finance staff members on commercial law, healthcare regulations, fraud & abuse, privacy (including data privacy) and related topics.
- Prepare and conduct training of sales, field finance and other personnel on commercial law, regulatory matters, Siemens Healthineers’ templates and other relevant topics.
- Develop creative and compliant solutions to resolve complicated business challenges and customer disputes.
- Educate and guide business partners regarding key commercial, competition, data privacy and significant regulatory considerations.
- Negotiate with key customers, partners, suppliers, vendors and government agencies.
- Provide ongoing counseling regarding (and efficient implementation of) various corporate policies, initiatives and/or programs.
- Cooperate across corporate business units and departments and throughout a large group of affiliated companies to achieve optimal results while minimizing risk.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Proven ability to independently lead and execute all facets of challenging engagements with highest integrity and ethics – from risk identification and preliminary/conceptual advice, through structuring, negotiating, drafting, closing, and any subsequent conflict resolution.
- Highly polished and effective negotiation, communication, listening and drafting skills, including those suitable for interaction with senior managers and executive leadership within a global and matrixed organization and with senior management of key customers.
- Expertise in Canadian healthcare legal and regulatory environment.
- Fluency with the regulatory environments, including anti-kickback laws, fraud and abuse statutes, and privacy laws applicable to medical device manufacturers.
- Demonstrated skill in working collaboratively with multiple teams simultaneously, some of whom may be located outside of Ontario.
- Proven ability to identify and initiate needed actions and follow-up.
- Innovation in design and delivery of legal strategies and solutions to support ever-evolving business objectives.
- Experience with monitoring and improving processes through ongoing optimization efforts, technology enhancements, and business partner feedback.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and, from time-to-time, internationally.
- Minimum of 5 years of Canadian corporate and commercial law experience preferably in-house with a healthcare/technology company and experience in a well-respected law firm.
- LL.B./JD required and called to the Bar in the Province of Ontario and a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Fluency in French is an asset.
Siemens Healthcare Limited
Siemens is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Siemens Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
By submitting personal information to Siemens Canada Limited or its affiliates, service providers and agents, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in our Privacy Code available at www.siemens.ca.
Siemens s’engage à créer un environnement diversifié et est fière d’être un employeur souscrivant au principe de l’égalité d’accès à l’emploi. Tous les candidats qualifiés seront pris en considération pour ce poste.
En transmettant des renseignements personnels à Siemens Canada limitée ou à ses sociétés affiliées, à ses fournisseurs de services ou à ses agents, vous nous autorisez à recueillir, à utiliser et à divulguer ces renseignements aux fins prévues dans notre Code de protection de la confidentialité, que vous pouvez consulter au www.siemens.ca.