Youth Housing Support Worker
Date Posted: November 14, 2019 Competition Number: 154-19/20 Location: Kelowna, BC
Okanagan Boys and Girls Clubs are seeking applications from interested parties for the position of Youth Housing Support Worker at our Downtown Youth Centre. This is a temporary position ending March 31, 2020
We can provide:
- Many opportunities for professional development
- Fun, positive work environment
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Housing Stability: Assist youth to obtain housing of their choice, maintain housing, and offer assistance with rapid rehousing when housing is lost. Practice Shelter Diversion and reduce youth’s stay in emergency shelters.
- Health & Well-being: Assist youth to access services and supports leading to improved food security, mental, sexual and physical health. Encourage harm reduction. Support youth to improve self-esteem and resilience.
- Education & Employment: Assist youth to re-engage in and succeed in education. Assist youth to set career goals, access employment and training. Assist youth to improve financial security.
- Social Inclusion: Assist youth to develop and enhance family and natural supports. Assist youth to engage meaningfully in communities of their choice through volunteering, attending special events, engaging in recreational opportunities and navigating local resources.
- Complementary Support: Assist youth with establishing personal goals, improving social and life skills, and where needed assist with addressing legal and justice matters.
- Collaborate and cooperate with members of youth’s care teams to ensure youth’s care plans are consistent and supported
- Provide case management based on individualized needs of participants ranging from a light touch intervention to intensive case management.
- Diploma in a related human / social service field and one year recent related experience working with youth
- Case management experience, familiarity with strengths based care, harm reduction, trauma informed practice and housing first principles is an assest.
- First Aid Certification
- Class 5 driving license and clean driving abstract
- Knowledge of Residential Tenancies Act and local housing market issues is an asset
Successful completion of Agency Screening Process including a criminal record check
This position is open to all applicants
This position requires membership in the BCGEU
Rate of Pay: $19.45 per hour
Temporary position ending March 31, 2020
Closing Date: November 22, 2019
Hours: 20 hours per week: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays-12:00pm-7:00pm
Please send resume and cover letter to
Name: Sarah MacKinnon, Regional Director
Okanagan Boys and Girls Clubs is an equity employer and encourages applications from persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to a diverse and inclusive staff team._
We appreciate and thank all applicants for their interest, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted._
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $19.45 /hour
- working with youth: 1 year (Preferred)