The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The Ottawa Grace Manor is a not-for-profit long-term care home, licensed for 128 beds under the Ontario Long Term Care Act.
The Ottawa Grace Manor is a Christian faith-based long-term care home providing residents with high quality care.
POSITION PURPOSE SUMMARY:
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Employee Relations Advisor provides full cycle recruitment and operations support to Ottawa Grace Manor specifically in the areas of recruitment, selection, onboarding, payroll, benefits, WSIB claims management, investigations, union support, health and safety and administration.
Recruitment & Selection – 30%
- Oversee end-to-end recruitment & selection cycle in accordance with TSA Policies & Procedures, MOHLTC & LHIN Standards, Employment Standards Act & Human Rights legislation
- Participates in recruitment efforts by posting jobs, pre-screening candidates, scheduling interviews, conducting reference checks, and creating job offer packages. Provides feedback to hiring manager regarding reference checks.
- Conduct initial phone screens (pre-interviews) for external applicants. Evaluate and screen applicants thoroughly based on predetermined criteria for each recruitment
- Conduct interviews based on structured, competency or behavioral based methodologies
- Participates in new employee documentation and orientation
- Coordinate testing and/or assessments for candidates as needed
- Facilitate selection decision with hiring managers
- Conduct reference checks
- Determine offer details in partnership with hiring managers - create and present offer, facilitate negotiations as needed
- Decline unsuccessful candidates - refer appropriate declined candidates to other open postings and provide feedback to unsuccessful internal candidates
- Conduct research via external job boards and posting results to source candidate pool
- Answer recruitment/employment inquiries
- Provide onboarding documentation (policies/procedures, tax & benefits information, etc.) to new hires and transfer onboarding to hiring manager once hire is finalized
- Maintain accurate and thorough recruitment records according to Employment Standards Act, human rights legislation, TSA policies and procedures, and Ministry requirements
- Track recruitment process and days-to-fill metrics
- Assist in the development and implementation of effective onboarding procedures to ensure orientation provides excellent opportunities for employees to understand the Army culture, the organizational structure, and Ottawa Grace Manor’s expectations
- Develop partnerships with local colleges & universities with related programs (PSW, etc.) to generate leads to, and connections with, prospective employees
- Support launch of employee referral program to generate leads to qualified candidates
Operational Excellence – 50%
Work with Ottawa Grace Manor management to ensure practices and processes align with internal policies and procedures, relevant employment legislation and best practices in human resource management.
- Facilitate WSIB claims, e-filing and occupational/non-occupational return to work and employee accommodation requests, providing training & support to staff and management
- In conjunction with Director of Finance, advise management regarding employee relations issues to ensure the consistent application of practices, in compliance with legal requirements and TSA policy
- Liaise with unions, familiarity with grievance and arbitration processes, co-ordinate grievance responses, collective bargaining and collective agreement interpretation
- Provide support to interpret ER policies, procedures and guidelines
- Assist managers in the development or upgrading of job descriptions for accuracy and relevance in keeping with THQ requirements
- Provide backup support to Scheduling Coordinator during peak seasons and vacation/absences as required
- Assists with arrangements for training and development initiatives
- Alerts management team when recertification/retraining is needed for employees
- Maintains employee resources information and compiles reports as requested by THQ, DHQ and the local MU
- Maintains employee files and other records, reports, logs and databases, ensues validity of information
- Responds to employee inquiries regarding employee resources policies, processes and benefit plans
- Prepare confidential materials and correspondence. Performs regular audits of employee data to ensure accuracy
- Responsible for attending meetings and minute taking
- Acts as administrator for local Ultipro payroll system
- Responsible for providing compensation analysis and advice to senior leaders to assist in merit and salary adjustment decisions pertaining to non-union staff
- Responsible for benefits administration including RSP, Extended Health and LTD
- Ensure all employees complete annual training and development via educational programs, regular reports to managers regarding compliance with training/mandatory annual education for all staff
- Ensure that all health and safety requirements specific to Ottawa Grace Manor are in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, including:
- Represent Employee Relations as a member of the Joint Health & Safety Committee and liaise with the Director of Finance to ensure any ER-specific items arising from the JHSC are addressed in a timely fashion.
- To report accidents/injuries/workplace hazards according to agency policies
- To assist with, make recommendations for, and/or correct substandard acts or conditions
- Accountability for ensuring is manor is meeting all accreditation and compliance standards as it relates to Occupational Health and Safety
Organizational Responsibilities – 20%
- Review, revise and enhance current recruitment & selection policies & procedures, templates and resources to ensure simplicity, efficiency and compliance/alignment with TSA, ESA, Ministry standards, Collective Bargaining Agreement and Ottawa Grace Manor Strategic & Operating Plans
- Assist hiring managers in areas of identified gaps such as interviewing & selection, etc.
- To promote the Mission, policies and objectives of the Salvation Army and The Ottawa Grace Manor
- To carry out tasks in a way that meets client needs and allows us to be a transforming influence in our community
- To maintain confidentiality in all matters pertaining to the clientele and coworkers of The Salvation Army and the Ottawa Grace Manor
- Participate as an active and responsible team member in all work groups and at all times treat fellow employees and Officers in a respectful manner
- To treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution
- Represent the organization in a professional manner, acting in the best interest of the employer at all times
- Participate in ongoing professional development and training as offered throughout the Division, contributing and collaborating with the broader divisional ER team
- Participate in and lead the Investigation and complaints process within the MU and assist in investigations outside the MU when requested by DHQ
- Other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- University Degree or College Diploma in Human Resources or similar field
- CHRP/CHRL Designation preferred or equivalent experience, with a strong working knowledge of current employment legislation
- 5+ years’ experience in human resources function; preferably within a unionized environment
- Experience in management of WSIB & non-occupational leaves preferred
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written, with a professional demeanor and an ability to positively represent organizational brand
- Must be proficient with compensation management, payroll and time & attendance tracking
- Experience conducting workplace investigations and report writing
- Proven attention to detail and ability to oversee several moving parts simultaneously is critical
- Results-oriented and thrives in a fast paced, high pressure environment
- Tactful and diplomatic in sensitive situations
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter, demonstrating consistent sound judgement in the face of ambiguity
- Previous experience effectively managing confidential information
- Experience in Long Term Care/Healthcare is ideal
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 80 Hours bi-weekly
SALARY: To be determined
Interested applicants are asked to contact Jeff Querel by August 30, 2019
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Job Type: Full-time
- Human Resources: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)