For more than 50 years, Walsh LLP has been an integral part of the Alberta legal community. We have a distinct firm culture that encourages lawyers to work together to give clients the tools they need to succeed — at home, in business and in the community. From our offices in Calgary and Okotoks we find solutions for our clients throughout Alberta.
Our goal is to exceed expectations – to go the extra step to deliver results by building strong long term relationships, proactively taking the time to understand our clients’ needs and how the work we do fits into the bigger picture for them and producing accurate, common sense, timely and relevant work. Our Legal Assistant team is essential to ensuring every client has a great experience with our firm.
We are looking for a Legal Assistant to work in our corporate practice.
- Prepare all necessary corporate records documents for Alberta Societies, Alberta and Federal Business Corporations, including but not limited to incorporations, Annual Returns, Resolutions, Notices, etc.
- Create and maintain Minute Books and related corporate records files.
- Draft required documentation for tax and commercial transactions (rollover, share exchanges, etc.).
- Draft, create and format documents
- Prepare client reporting letters for lawyer review.
- Submit documents for registration with Alberta Corporate Registries and Industry Canada.
- Conduct various searches including internal conflict checks and due diligence searches.
- Organize and maintain files and keep filing current.
- Open and close physical and electronic files.
- Handle client accounts: preparation of invoices and cheque requisitions, receive and disburse funds for transactions and other administrative tasks as required.
- At least 3 years of recent experience actively performing CORES III duties (will consider Cores II with interest in advancing level).
- Demonstrated ability to draft and format legal documents. Advanced Microsoft Word skills and proven ability to work with large documents (formatting using styles, numbering, cross-referencing, table of contents, etc. and utilizing track changes).
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge and understanding of filing and records-keeping requirements for Alberta Societies, Alberta Companies, Alberta Business Corporations and Federal Business Corporations.
- Ability to work within established procedures/protocols.
- Receive and follow instructions.
- Highly effective in a team environment.
- Experience and knowledge with Land Titles an asset.
- Some accounting and invoicing experience an asset.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Proven ability to exercise high initiative while projecting a tactful, diplomatic approach at all times.
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritization skills with the ability to adapt to change.
- CORES Level III Accreditation.
- Legal Assistant Diploma.
Is this the right role for you? It might be if you:
- Are passionate about client service,
- Want to work in a dynamic, downtown Calgary, family-oriented law firm committed to delivering innovative solutions for our clients,
- Are relentless in delivering quality and accuracy in a deadline driven-environment,
- Demonstrate exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills,
- Are resourceful and know how to dig into a file and research to find answers,
- Are able to think on your feet,
- Treat everyone with dignity and respect, regardless of the circumstances,
- Show curiosity, want to learn and are able to ask crucial questions, and
- Have a track record of trust, authenticity, accountability and an unwavering commitment to values and co-workers.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Legal Assistant: 5 years (Preferred)
- CORES III: 3 years (Required)