Ywise Guys Youth
(1 position available)
Position Description Summary:
The YWise Guys Youth Empowerment Facilitator is responsible for overseeing the operations and
facilitation of groups for boys, working on the front line planning activities and engaging with children and
youth. The YWise Guys Youth Empowerment facilitator is directly accountable to the GirlSpace Team
Lead/ Youth Services Manager. Formal Supervisions will occur with the Girlspace Team Lead. Please
This is a term position until Dec 31 , 2019. Hours of work will be based on 20 hours per week with
flexibility where required.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Create a safe, supportive, youth centered environment where boys feel empowered to develop
critical thinking and leadership skills.
- Plan, prepare, facilitate and evaluate weekly programming to boys between the ages of 8 and
17 years of age. Number and frequency of groups will be varied and dependent upon the
needs of the program and community.
- Facilitate, plan and coordinate weekly groups.
- Be flexible in ensuring hours of work meet the demands of the program (including evenings
- Maintain accurate records and reporting.
- Liaise with schools, community agencies (including Southwest Alberta Child and Family
Services) and funders (City of Lethbridge FCSS).
Knowledge, skills and attributes:
Staff engaged in Youth Services positions at the YWCA must be:
- Interact with parents and guardians, providing feedback as needed
- Form and maintain therapeutic relationships.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the current issues facing boys.
- Possess CPI certification
- Possess 16 hours of Suicide Intervention Certification (current within 3 years).
- Reliable vehicle with 2 million dollar liability insurance
- Respectful in their approach to working with youth
- Focused on developing the youth’s strengths and assets
- Committed to finding ways to empower the youth as they develop self management skills
- Professional and ethical, demonstrating healthy boundaries and appropriate work/life balance
- Firm, yet fair in their approach to guidance and discipline, helping the youth to learn from
- Able to provide the youth with a sense of safety and security
- Capable of role modeling and teaching conflict management, problem solving and effective
Qualifications:The YWise Guys Youth Empowerment Facilitator must:
- Prepared to act decisively, think on their feet and manage crisis
- Able to demonstrate that they believe in youth and their ability to succeed
- Patient, able to teach youth life management skills and pro social values in a safe environment
- Experienced in building and use of community networks
- Have completed a diploma or degree in the Human Services field or be actively enrolled
in a post secondary program, working towards a degree or diploma in a field such as
Education or a Human Services discipline (ie:
Child and Youth Care, Psychology, Social
Work, Criminal Justice, etc.) and minimum one year experience
- Experienced in child and youth care and management, including working with youth with
emotional and behavioral challenges and mental health issues ages 8-18.
- Have experience with group facilitation and workshop preparation
- Follow the Canadian Social Work Code of Ethics
- Be culturally sensitive and actively supportive of helping youth maintain their cultural
and spiritual beliefs
- Be experienced in child and youth care and management of emotionally and
behaviourally challenged youth, including those with mental health issues.
- Be experienced in working with families and support services
- Be able to engage community resources to the benefit of the youth
- Meet all screening procedures including provision of clean criminal history and Child and
Youth Intervention Module record checks
Resumes with three references to be directed to:
- Possess Standard First Aid and CPR
Mahreen Rana, Human Resources Manager
YWCA Lethbridge and District
604- 8 Street South
HR@ywcalethbridge.org (Only those interviewed will be contacted)
Position to be filled immediately. Applications to be accepted until hiring of the successful
***YWCA Lethbridge and District is an equal opportunity employer***