This role is an important part of our team; supporting document flow, client service, document productions, office administration and litigation support. This is an ideal role with a new graduate who wants to develop office, IT and legal administration skills including document management/ e discovery. Salary reviews occur after 6 months based on performance
The ideal individual is able to multi task while maintaining a high level of accuracy, is computer savvy, sticks to firm procedures, welcomes feedback, brings forward suggestions to help us improve our services and is a positive productive team player. If that is not enough; clear, positive oral communication is necessary as well as proficiency in written communication. This is not a busy switchboard but it is the first impression for our clients and as such requires an individual who is professional, welcoming and prepared to support boardroom visitor services.
- Answers calls, providing professional supportive action for caller. Takes detailed messages clarifying the matter, ensures they are brought to the lawyers/ assistants attention and offers assistance where appropriate.
- Ensures all mail is date stamped and distributed in a timely manner
- Follows up with assistants or lawyers to verify and ensure documents are given to the correct party
- Ensures courier or process server materials are picked up by the appropriate party or advises assistant asap. Maintains the courier log
- Ensures cheques are scanned and copied.
- Welcomes visitors in a professional manner, announces visitor to assistant and lawyer and offers refreshments
- Sets up and tidies boardroom for client meetings
- Ensures kitchen is tidy/coffee urn full and dishwasher runs at the end of the day
- Stays informed of firm members’ availability; determining urgency of inquiries/requests, finds other assistance if unable to assist directly; takes independent action to provide assistance where appropriate
- Learns about clients to better support the team in meeting client needs by understanding all documents that they come into contact with.
- Completes e filing daily
- Participates in Month end billings using PC Law, Adobe and Word.
- Supports Litigation clerks demonstrating increasing capabilities with court and document production
- As directed completes coding, and scanning assignments in Escan it and Eclipse
- Based on the skills of the candidate will support different initiatives
- Keeps supervisor and other appropriate people informed, as to discrepancies, changes or problems; applying discretion in the use of confidential information.
- Communicates competing priorities with supervisor, clarifying urgency and importance.
- Creates and provides properly formatted documents that are checked for grammar, accuracy and spelling including billings, email correspondence and letters and court documents
- Takes initiative to advance knowledge by referring to resources and reviewing past precedents
- Able to focus on details and can complete repetitive tasks with accuracy
- Comfortable with basic mathematical calculations
- Uses software programs accurately and effectively. Continually advances knowledge and application of programs.
- Takes and maintains detailed notes of procedures and practices such that another individual could step in to assist following the instructions
- Is reliable and responsible in carrying out assignments and meeting deadlines
- Is punctual and attends to work regularly.
- Advises supervisor in advance of need for time off where possible;
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency as appropriate
- Computer savvy with Microsoft Office
- Preference for someone who has experience with indexing or coding materials or data entry
- Basic Numeracy capabilities to support billings
- Experience with Adobe, PC law or Time Matters, knowledge of court documents an asset
- Meticulous Attention to detail
- Provides suggestions for continuous improvement
- Able to shift work priorities as required to provide internal and external client service
- A true team player
- Desire to learn
- Professional presentation
- Clear, helpful and friendly communication skills
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $48,000.00 /year
- Secondary School (Required)