April 15, 2020
Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm
$17.95 - $21.09 per hour
How to apply:
Online through our external Career Center
As a non-profit charitable organization, Island Crisis Care Society's vision is to provide shelter and care for those in need, reflecting the love of God in loving one another.
Our mission is to:
Help meet the immediate physical needs of those who come to our doors.
Provide affordable housing for low and moderate income households.
Provide counsel, guidance and prayer to aid those in need. Develop and provide programs to improve the quality of life of those who seek our help.
Recognize that the whole person (body, soul and spirit) needs care.
Bring comfort through the provision of quality care.
- Under the direction of the Finance Manager performs a variety of clerical duties;
- Codes and enters routine payables (including petty cash, credit card items, and employee expenses) and receivables;
- Checks source documents, enters data into computerized accounting systems and maintains a variety of records;
- Follows ICCS financial policies and standard accounting practices;
- Prints and distributes cheques as part of the execution role as defined in the ICCS Policy Manual, Section 12.2d;
- Assists with fundraising campaigns and other events, especially in the handling and securing of cash;
- Assists with benefits documentation as requested;
- Possesses basic knowledge about poverty, homelessness, and the non-profit sector.
1. Grade 12 successfully completed
2. Post-secondary courses of up to two (2) years in areas such as bookkeeping, payroll, or office procedures
3. One (1) or more years recent related experience
4. A candidate without courses in bookkeeping but who possesses significant related experience or transferable skills will be considered
Skills and Knowledge:
1. Strong organizational skills
2. Able to perform routine tasks with a high degree of accuracy, patience and attention to detail
3. Able to perform routine office duties including work with documents, spreadsheets, databases, the internet, and email
4. Able to learn new skills related to changes in technology and practice and demonstrate flexibility
5. Possesses adequate mathematical acumen to perform all necessary calculations
6. Communicates well verbally and in writing including spelling, grammar and punctuation
7. A good working knowledge of basic accounting practices and standards
1. Able to interact with employees, supervisors, volunteers, donors and the public with tact, respect, and warmth
2. Able to demonstrate professional work ethic including regular attendance, confidentiality, sound judgement, sensitivity and a cooperative/positive attitude
3. A high level of ethical understanding and integrity working with cash, large payments, and sensitive information
4. Able to follow directions and procedures
1. Required to work with the Finance Manager, Bookkeeper, and Office Manager
2. Required to follow the ICCS Donor Stewardship Underlying Principles and honour the ICCS Donor Bill of Rights
3. Required to follow society policies, code of ethics, and guidelines
4. Required to understand the philosophy of ICCS and adhere to and reflect the Society’s values and code of ethics
5. Required to become a member of BCGEU (union)
1. Checks source for accuracy and completeness
2. Performs basic calculations from source documents
3. Reviews, compiles, and reconciles receipts, invoices, and other documents and posts payments for same
4. Inputs data from source documents into computerized accounting systems or spreadsheets
5. Files documents such as invoices, cheque requisitions and bills and maintains the filing system in accordance with established guidelines
6. Prints or types cheques for signing, compares cheques to source documents to ensure accuracy and distributes cheques to staff and vendors
7. Prints, and may prepare reports, from computerized accounting systems or spreadsheets
8. Processes and reconciles petty cash transactions
9. Pays bills online as requested
10. Generates reports as required
11. Assists with documentation relating to benefits and maintaining records
12. Assists where needed in attending fundraising events and especially in the collection and handling of monies
13. Prepares and deposits cash receipts, including online donations and direct deposits as requested, and maintains records
14. Other duties as assigned by the Finance Manager