A line cook is responsible for preparing and producing food items, a la carte, buffets, banquets, etc. to specified requirement set by the Hotel. Accurately and efficiently cook meats, fish, vegetables, soups and other hot food products as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Perform other duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates. Be flexible; open-minded and confident to take over any section of the kitchen operation at any time.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- At the start of each shift Check that Daily Prep List is complete and sufficient prep product is available for service. Inform Kitchen Supervisor immediately of any prep shortages.
- Use Standard Recipe Card for preparing all products.
- Portion food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Stock & maintain sufficient levels of food products at line station to assure a smooth dinner service.
- Prepare item for broiling, grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
- Prepares variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regards to chilling, re-heating, and holding food.
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality and presentation of products served.
- Communicate with service staff verbally and through use of the items board.
- Use and understand POS ticket system.
- Understand and comply consistently with standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for proper handling of food leftovers (reusable) after meal services.
- Re-organizes refrigerators, re-stocks items up to par, re-organizes section for next meal period.
- Responsible for setting up breakfast, lunch and/or dinner buffets, Lunch/Dinner specials and banquet buffet and reception as assigned by the Chef, with strict quality controls.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work area including tables, shelves, walls, grills, salamander, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Checks station prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, proper disposal/removal of food and proper storing and labeling.
- Cleans and maintains his/her working place, store, equipment and utensils at all times.
- Promptly reports equipment and food quality problems to the Chef.
- Follow proper plate portion, presentation and garnish set for all dishes.
- Understand and comply with Company Policies.
- Follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assist others in closing the kitchen if required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the his/her supervisor and/ or manager-on-duty.
- Follow and enforce hygiene and safety standard set by the Public Health Department and the Hotel.
- Know the Hotel's fire and safety procedures and operation of kitchen.
- Maintain a professional appearance and good hygiene at all times.
- Attend employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $14.00 /hour
- cooking: 1 year (Preferred)
- Safe Food Handlers (Required)