Looking for work on the railway? We are seeking individuals that like working outdoors and who like physical work. The incumbent must live close to the reporting location of Port Hawkesbury, N.S.
Reporting to the Assistant Roadmaster, the Track Maintainer works as a crewmember to maintain, repair and replace rails, ties, switches and ballast by using hand tools and operates heavy equipment.
Company: Cape Breton & Nova Scotia Railway Inc.
Location: Port Hawkesbury, N.S
Salary: Salary based on experience and G&W’s wage scale.
The Track Maintainer fulfills the following obligations:
- Work with direction from the Maintenance of Way Supervisor or Foreman
- Perform the duties involved with the maintenance repair activities surrounding the Maintenance of Way functions, carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's safety policies and applicable rules
- Perform preventative maintenance, minor repairs, and adjustments to equipment as needed
- Perform the day to day activities such as unloading and/or assisting in the distribution of track material (rail, ties, spikes, plates, etc.)
- Manage the right of way and structures for trains
- Fill out and maintain required regulatory forms
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment and gage
- Spray switches, angle bars, curves and joints; lubricates track when/where necessary
- Install and repair street crossings and railroad crossings
- Establish and maintain drainage; install, repairs and cleans small culverts
- Perform flagging work to specific locations on the Railway
- Perform any other related tasks
- Have a High School Diploma (must)
- Work experience in construction or mechanics (asset)
- Able to adapt to different situations: work schedule, being on call, over time,
- Must be prepared to work in adverse weather conditions
- Must be able to work away from home occasionally
- Must possess valid driver’s license(must)
- Able to work under minimal supervision
Other working conditions: Vacation, benefits and paid holidays are based on the company’s policies.
If considered for the position a full background check will be required (physical, drug, criminal and references)
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $24.00 to $30.00 /hour
- physical work: 1 year (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Port Hawkesbury, NS (Preferred)