“*Build” your Future with Habitat for Humanity GTA.*
Job Title: Director, Real Estate Development
Reports To: Vice President, Real Estate Development
Location: Toronto Office (155 Bermondsey Road) – with flexibility for remote work and with travel across the GTA (Toronto, Brampton, Caledon, York Region)
Who We Are
Habitat for Humanity Greater Toronto Area (Habitat GTA) is leading the way in addressing one of the most pressing issues of our time: the need for affordable housing. Our work focuses on helping working, lower-income families become homeowners – thus realizing both a safe and secure place to live and the opportunity to build equity and financial independence for themselves and their children. We are a land developer, a home builder, a fundraiser, and a mortgage holder. In support of our homebuilding operations, Habitat GTA operates retail home improvement stores called ReStores, which collect donations of home furnishings, appliances, and renovation materials and sells them to the public, with all proceeds helping us build more homes.
Habitat GTA is growing. We are an innovative, entrepreneurial social enterprise that has been increasing our capacity for impact each and every year. Together, we are building a better, more inclusive GTA for everyone.
Habitat GTA’s pipeline of projects has been rapidly expanding in both size and diversity. The existing pipeline includes 340 homes across 19 projects throughout the GTA. Projects include stacked townhouse and mid-rise developments. Several projects are being undertaken in partnership with other non-profit housing providers with Habitat GTA as the lead developer. Some projects involve partnerships with for-profit developers with Habitat GTA building a portion of a larger residential development. All of this is occurring in a rapidly changing affordable housing and real estate development landscape with new opportunities associated with inclusionary zoning, community benefits, and increasing government attention to addressing housing supply and affordability.
Within this context, the Director of Real Estate Development will provide oversight and leadership in delivering on the existing pipeline of build projects while supporting the Vice President of Real Estate in multiple new strategic initiatives.
You will be a vital partner with the Vice President of Real Estate Development in land acquisition and will have lead responsibility for project planning and approvals through to building permits. A strong and collaborative leader, you will provide direction and mentorship to the growing land development team, ensuring efficient and timely approvals for current and future projects.
A natural strategist and a strong communicator, you will support the Vice President Real Estate Development in reports provided to the executive team and board of directors while contributing to the overall strategic directions for new ways to acquire land and deliver affordable homeownership.
If you are an energetic and experienced land planner with a passion to channel your talents and experience into building a better, more inclusive GTA for everyone, this is an ideal next step for your career.
Project Direction (Design / Development / Building Permit Process)
- Development applications
- Co-ordinate required consultants and contract management
- Providing supervisory and mentorship to Project team, interns, volunteers
- Oversee planning approval and building permit applications packages; including in the day-to-day interactions with consultants and municipal staff to gain planning approvals and building permits
- Oversee condominium applications, including satisfaction of approval conditions and final registration
- Reviews policy, including but not limited to: Official Plans, Zoning by-laws, design guidelines and other applicable law
- Support and lead public meetings and council presentations through the production of materials such as statistics, area maps, informational graphics and PowerPoint deck
- Prepares and maintain recommendations reports, progress reports, project schedules and budgets for discussion, review and approval by executive team, Land and Build Committee and Board of directors;
- Coordinate with internal departments to track and report on the status of projects, interdependencies and key milestones
Due Diligence and Land Acquisition
- Supports in due diligence research in support of land acquisition, budgets and pro-formas, including the collection and analyses of market and land values, hard and soft construction cost
Government and Industry Relations
- Work with city staff, councilors and community stakeholders
- Develop relationships with Development Industry Representatives, Government Staff and Elected Officials, Community Members and other Key Stakeholders with respect to specific project related matters as well as promoting the Vision and Mandate of Habitat for Humanity to provide Affordable Housing in the Greater Toronto Area
- Conduct research and prepare reports in support of Habitat GTA advocacy efforts.
What You Bring
- Industry experience equivalent and/or a degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Engineering and/or Real Estate
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in the Land Development and/or Construction Industry
- Experience in the full real estate development cycle, including site analysis/selection, planning approvals, real estate finance, project budgeting, valuation, evaluating site servicing requirements, assessing/managing community impacts, building/managing public/private sector partnerships, business planning, managing RFP processes and proposal review and selection, contract negotiation and construction management and controls.
- A sound knowledge of the Development Approvals Process, including but not limited to Official Plan Amendments, Zoning By-law Amendments, Minor Variances, Site Plan Approvals, Draft Plan of Subdivision, Condominium
- Experience with a variety of Urban Design and Building principals
- Membership (MCIP, RPP) in the Canadian Institute of Planners and Ontario Professional Planners Institute as well as Project Management Professional Certificate from Project Management Institute (PMI) are considered an asset.
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Excellent communication & presentation skills
- Superior Project Management and Direction Skills with respect to handling multiple projects with competing priorities on time and on budget on an ongoing basis
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization and execution skills
- Experience in analysis of real estate transactions a definite asset
- Excellent writing skills, including writing of formal reports
- Understanding of risk management and of the development approval process
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools, specifically MS Project and Autocad.
- Driver’s license and willingness to drive to sites
- Experience and ability to read and review engineering and architectural plans and studies
- Proforma and Budget creation experience is an asset
Benefits of a Career at Habitat GTA
- A meaningful opportunity to make a difference in your local community and to have first-hand contact with the families whose lives are transformed by our work
- The pride of being part of a highly respected, high profile global charity
- A stimulating, fast paced professional opportunity in a team of like-minded ‘world-changers’
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- RRSP eligibility
- Flexible work arrangements
- Internal job mobility and developmental opportunities
- Wellness initiatives including EAP and corporate gym membership rate with Goodlife Fitness
If you are ready to make a change in your local community and become a part of our team at Habitat for Humanity GTA, click on the Apply button within this posting or click on our Careers Page to find more: https://habitatgta.ca/careers/
Your Future at Habitat for Humanity GTA Awaits.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada throughout the duration of their employment with Habitat for Humanity GTA. Proof of eligibility will be required.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Upon individual request, we will endeavor to remove barriers to the hiring process to accommodate candidates with disabilities, providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements of the employment position. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
As part of our selection process, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check. It is also a mandatory term of employment for this position that you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to your start date. Employment will be contingent on proof of vaccination.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Habitat for Humanity GTA, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time