Weir Marine Engineering is looking for an IT Specialist to join our team and contribute to the betterment of IT networks onboard the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) ships and submarines. This is a permanent, full-time position based in Her Majesty’s Canadian (HMC) Dockyard in Esquimalt, BC, Canada. This is a field position reporting to a Team Leader in Montreal, where the candidate will be on site working alongside the RCN and will represent the Canada-wide team.
We are a Department of National Defence (DND) facility that Weir has managed and operated on behalf of the Government of Canada since 1953. Over 325 personnel are currently employed by Weir at NETE, supporting the Canadian Navy and DND in a wide variety of technical areas
You will be responsible to:
- Conduct technology investigations, technical evaluations and tests (integration, performance, security, etc.);
- Develop detailed and methodical test plans;
- Remotely coordinate the set up and configuration of required test environments in a lab setting based on defined project requirements;
- Verify and validate tested/approved configurations and implementation procedures for client production networks;
- Audit and verify existing test and production environments;
- Perform evaluation and impact assessment of proposed changes to systems within the environment(s);
- Produce technical reports and documents in relation to the above activities;
- Review technical documentation to provide independent opinion and impact assessment;
- Provide technical expertise and assistance to other team members; and
- Provide technical expertise and assistance to local support cells as a TIER 3 escalation provider.
This is not an IT operations role for DND and it does not involve any direct user support, nor does it have a requirement to be on call. The ideal candidate is very responsible, autonomous, and entrepreneurial, can work as part of a geographically dispersed team, with a strong sense of customer focus and satisfaction.
Technical skills and experience needed:
- 5+ years of IT experience including experience with the following products and technologies in enterprise level networks:
- Microsoft Windows Server deployment (Version 2016 and older);
- Microsoft Windows Server management (Common roles, features and Microsoft Management Consoles);
- Knowledge and experience with desktop management technologies (GPOs/GPP for Windows 7/10 in an AD environment);
- Microsoft SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager);
- Microsoft Exchange 2010/2016;
- Microsoft SQL (Structured Query Language)
- VMware ESXi / Microsoft Hyper-V Hypervisors; and
- Virtual machine creation, deployment and management; and
- Entry level experience with Cisco IOS (firmware upgrades, template deployment, trouble-shooting).
Knowledge and experience in the following areas are applicable to the environment and would be an asset:
- Microsoft MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit);
- Hewlett Packard / Dell / EMC server/SAN technologies;
- GNU\Linux server administration (CentOS and RHEL experience preferred);
- Exposure to scripting and automation engines, languages & shells (Ansible, Microsoft PowerShell, Command-line Language Interpreter, BASH, Python);
- Exposure to COM (Component Object Model) and the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) extensions to the Windows Driver Model; and
- Entry level experience with WAN optimization techniques and technology.
Other qualifications and skills required:
- You have a Canadian citizenship with 10 or more years in Canada. This is necessary as part of the requirements to obtain a government security clearance to the minimum level of Secret;
- You are familiar with the ITIL framework and SDLC methods, and are able to work in an environment that employs these business processes;
- You are an excellent communicator, and can write well in English, since documenting configurations, build procedures, test results and technical assessments is a big part of what we do;
- You are an analytical thinker and resourceful in finding solutions to problems while respecting established processes;
- You are able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, are well organized, and have strong technical leadership skills; and
- You are available for occasional (0-5%) travel within Canada to meet with clients, other IT teams, or visit the Canadian naval bases.
Weir Canada Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including Group RRSP with company matching, health and dental coverage, flexible hours, educational assistance, a stable and challenging work environment, and the chance to become part of a dynamic and highly skilled group.
By joining the Weir Marine Engineering team in British Columbia (Esquimalt), you will have the opportunity to play a key role in our continued success in delivering and maintaining IT infrastructure for the Royal Canadian Navy. If you are ready to take your career to the next level, apply now to join our team of skilled IT professionals.
Job Type: Full-time
- Canadian Citizenship (Required)