WHO WE ARE
POV ’s mission is to champion for diverse young people from traditionally underrepresented communities to develop their talent and creative passion into economic successes in the content production industry. POV provides technical training, skills development and social supports to talented young people, who are driven and have a desire to work in the content production industry, but lack relevant work experience and the financial capacity required to pursue their passions and aspirations. We serve young people who are stuck in a cycle of exclusion and lack the social capital required to navigate successfully in a complex industry.
POV is running a five-week full-time Production Assistant Training Program for 20 Black young adults with our partner organization CEE Centre For Young Black Professionals. The program will provide participants with the requisite technical skills, set etiquette and production knowledge needed to enter into the TV, film and/or commercial industries as a Production Assistant. As the Program Lead, you will have experience working on professional TV, film and/or commercial sets as a PA and are well equipped to train for 20 youth to develop the skills and knowledge needed to work as a PA with the support of a
soft skills trainer and volunteers. In addition to facilitating some of the workshops, the Program Lead is responsible for developing lesson plans, collaborating with the Programs Team to develop virtual and digital learning assets, coordinating program volunteers, booking equipment and resources and ensuring the smooth delivery of the program. After the five weeks of training, the Project Lead will be responsible for coordinating student placements on professional sets.
Reports to: Program Operations Manager
Essential Roles & Responsibilities:
Program Coordination and Facilitation 75%
- Support Director of Programming to update program curriculum for a blended
- virtual, physical and digital learning experience.
- Collaborate with Programs Team on developing instructional videos where needed.
- Deliver the production assistant training workshops with the support of volunteer instructors. Must have sound knowledge on key program training topics including:
- Gear and Supplies Orientation
- Production terminology
- Walkie Talkie training
- Overview of Productions Departments
- Set procedure & etiquette
- Set Safety
- Production Paperwork
- Locations PA training vs. Set PA training vs. Office PA
- Film and TV versus commercials/videos/low budget P.A.
- Produce and manage half-day “mock productions” with a skeleton crew as part of training
- Support Programs Manager in recruiting and managing program volunteers and guest instructors
- Coordinate field trips and “Discovery Days” to sets and production houses.
- Maintain regular communication with program participants to ensure they are up to date on all program activities, locations and timelines.
- Assist in the development, implementation and coordination of program evaluation
Job Development - 25%
- With the support of the Programs Team to find and secure PA opportunities for program graduates.
- Liaise with production companies to coordinate the placements of students on set
- Follow up with employers and participants with feedback surveys.
- Support participants with employment-related questions.
- Maintain consistent and professional communication with employers
- Liaise with social worker to review participant needs
- 3+ years of experience working on Film & TV sets in a role that has hired, managed or worked with Production Assistants.
- Exceptional knowledge of production terminology, set procedure, roles and safety.
- Experience working with youth from vulnerable populations and marginalized communities
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving skills
- Experience teaching or facilitating workshops for youth
- A degree, diploma, or certificate from a post-secondary institution in a related field is an asset.
- Please submit a cover letter with your application. Only applications with cover letters will be screened.
Application deadline: 2020-08-12
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
Salary: $20.00-$22.00 per hour
- Film and Television: 3 years (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19