Purpose and Scope
- Reports to the Recreation and Culture Supervisor and takes direction from Program Coordinators,
Programmers and/or Supervisors.
- Provides leadership and ensures integration, safety and all aspects of care for participants.
Nature and Scope of Work
- Working with a group, plan, implement and evaluate a range of activities and events with young children 5
years and under, children 6 - 11 years and/or youth 12 - 18 years;
- Lead a variety of recreational activities;
- Participate in meetings, and leadership and teambuilding activities as needed;
- Work cooperatively with other program staff and program partners to promote inclusion;
- Implement the Leaders-in-Training volunteer program;
- Ensure safety and care of all participants;
- Ensure ongoing communication with parents, program partners and supervisor;
- Ensure equipment and facilities are used in a safe and proper manner;
- Complies with guidelines and procedures required for this program;
- Other duties as may be required.
- Good understanding of skateboarding techniques and culture
- Clear understanding of the goals and objectives of recreation and inclusion.
- Clear understanding of community development approach to recreation programming.
- Good knowledge of developmental characteristics of children 5 & under, children 6-11 years and/or
youth 12-18 years.
- Good knowledge of age appropriate games, sports and crafts.
- Good understanding of volunteer mentorship.
- Effective communication and problem solving skills
- Effective teambuilding skills
- Experience participating or leading indoor and outdoor recreation activities
- Proven ability to skateboard/BMX ride
- Ability to teach basic skateboarding techniques, asses, monitor and adjust program content to meet
participants ability level
- Ability to supervise groups of children 5 & under, children 6-11 years and/or youth 12-18yrs at all
Employment Opportunity – Instructor/Leader (Skatepark)
Page 2 of 2
levels of child development.
- Ability to positively manage children and youth behavior.
- Ability to provide opportunity for play, mastery, friendship and participation during program.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work within and contribute to a proactive team environment.
- Ability and willingness to contribute to maintaining a respectful, safe and supportive work
environment that embraces diversity, along with treating everyone with courtesy, dignity and
- Ability to successfully attain a clear criminal record check prior to commencement of employment.
- Related courses or certification in Recreation Services (ie. NCCP, Red Cross Leadership,
Leadership Training) or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Related courses in Child Development, Community Development or equivalent combination of
training and experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Emergency First Aid Certificate and Child CPR
- Minimum one (1) year experience leading and/or instructing groups of children 5 & under, children
6-11 years and/or youth 12-18 years within the last 5 years.
- Previous experience in recreation services
- Experience leading and/or instructing skateboard/BMX programs
- NCCP – Coaching Level I
- Post-secondary education (ie. Recreation, Education, Social Work, Child & Youth Care, Human
- HIGH FIVE: Principles of Healthy Child Development.
Unusual Working Conditions
- Evenings, weekends and split shifts required
- Program operates outdoors under all weather conditions
- Must have your own skateboard/BMX Bike
- Must have your own helmet and protective gear